Chapter 64

"Do you understand your assignment?" R questioned as he leaned against the wall. His arms folded at his chest and ankles crossed. He glared at you as you moved about the room and began to pack a grey tote bag in preparation. Those dark pools of brown narrowed behind those round glasses in question.

"Jesus Christ." You groaned as you tossed your head back with an exasperated sigh. "Yes!" Wiping your head around you glared at him from over your bare shoulder. You bore nothing more than a bra and your pajama shorts now, he was taking to long to leave. "You know you have a fucking phone, couldn't you have just sent a text? Or hell, a fucking email." 

"I had to make sure you were mentally capable of handling the assignment. Since Mono seems to think you still need more 'me time'." His chin tilted downward as he stared over the frame of his glasses, trying to read you for signs of weakness, but you refused to crack. 

"I'm here to do a job right?" You questioned as you rolled your eyes and tossed a pair of black heals into the tote back with a rough shove you forced them in. "Don't fucking act like you're some saint by checking in on me." 

"I'm no saint." He admitted as he took in a low breath and let it expand his chest behind that thin white t-shirt he wore. "Repeat the assignment." He demanded as he released the breath from his nose, making it flare up like an angered bull. 

"You've got to be fucking kid--" 

"Repeat. The. Assignment." He interrupted as his gaze hardened. His booming words caused you to internally flinch, your brows the only indication at the spike of adrenaline that your body showed at the sound of his demanding tone. 

"Meet up with some rich fucker--" Your hands waved in the air in defeat as you moved back to the closet and continued your search as you kept searching for things to fill your tote back. "Win him over with my immense charm." Your head wiggled with sarcasm as you took out a race yet alluring maroon red dress and gave it a once over. 

"What's the target's name?" R quizzed. He acted as though you had been out of the game for months - maybe even years - and was rusty. You had taken a week off, it wasn't like you were going to lose your ability just like that. 

"Seojoon Park." Your tone took that of a taunting child as you rolled your eyes in R's direction for a second time before turning to question if the dress would work for the night. 

It was tight, really tight. You had tried it on in the store, it hugged all your curves in all the right places and cut just above mid-thigh. A floral lace graced the bottom of the dress and the same pattern was used as decoration for the arms. It had an open bust with a slit that went down to your sternum. Purposeful cresses that ran horizontal to your body gave the dress a corset appearance without the need for the steel bones. Yeah, this would do. 

"Now, could you leave?" Your tone bit toward him, letting spite linger on the tip of your tongue. "I'd have been halfway out the door by now if you weren't here treating me like this is my first fucking job."  You tossed the dress on your bed before waving a hand in R's direction. "If I'm late tonight, it's because of you." 

Turning from the conversation, you headed toward the bathroom to start organizing your make up and wig that you'd be decorating yourself with tonight. You only gained about two feet in  distance before your wrist was wrapped in a tight warm hold. Your head snapped to the side, bobbed blue locks swinging about from the sudden turn as R yanked your attention back to him. Your eyes rounded as your heart sunk in your chest. Once again, your tongue got you in trouble. 

"Watch your mouth, Princess." He had no shame in degrading you with such a frivolous nickname, he knew you couldn't stand it. His tongue hissed from his lips as his growling words escaped him, you felt his grip get tighter around your wrist... Would he break it? 

"You work for me, and if I want to discuss a billion things before your next assignment all I expect to hear from you is 'Yes, Sir.'" His boots slid into the carpet as he grew dangerously close. "You think your sass is some type of defense?" His rhetorical question caused a tilt of his head, his blonde locks displacing. That look in his eyes, it was all too familiar. 

"Like it or not, you work for me now." R declared, his head tilting to the side as his blonde hair dangled and hooded those evil eyes, casting a shadow over his cheeks. "You will do your job and do it without flaw or I will be the first to bury that pretty little ass of yours in my backyard." 

This threat from the day you met him rang in your ears. How little you believed him then. Spite prevented you from showcasing fear, and there was still a large part of you that rebelled against that anxiety. You'd rather die than be a top dog's bitch. Then again, you didn't have a choice in that matter, did you? 

"That plot is still waiting out back... just for you." R abruptly pointed out, quickly causing your eyes to widen. It was if he was in your head, knowing the memories you were recalling and just the right thing to say to throw you for a loop. Your adrenaline kicked in suddenly, you attempted to rip your hand back from his hold but once again - he offered no slack. 

His fingers dug into the skin of your wrist, making you winch. Suddenly, he yanked your arm as he forced you forward. The distance you had worked so hard to establish between the two of you had been shatter in just a single second. Your breath hitched in your throat and remained caged in your lungs while your heart raced behind your ribs. 

R breathed in your air, robbing you of the simplest of freedoms. His face was within an inch, you could smell his scent. A rich base of oakmoss, ambergris and a touch of vanilla. A divine scent for such a demon. Your eyes shook, bouncing between his bearing amber hues as he kept the closeness that you felt was bone-crushing. 

"I own you, Y/N..." There wasn't a shred of hesitation in his claim. No sense of doubt that lingered in his deep booming voice. He meant what he said, every single syllable of it.

R was the most prolific serial killer of his time. The only thing keeping him from being world-renowned was the fact that so many deaths were unconfirmed. He killed hundreds, inching closer to the thousands every single day. All the while, he never seemed to get his hands dirty. R held power beyond your wildest dreams. You could live four lifetimes and not amounted to the empire he had - and was still - creating.

He truly believed he owned you, and to keep your own life - you had to learn to allow that. At least, in appearances. It'd take much more then unfiltered fear and a few beating to cause you to surrender your life to someone like he wanted, but if you didn't play the part - your shot of freedom would be severed by his bare hands.

You had been playing a part since you were thirteen. Never showing the real side of yourself, because that would mean weakness. In a world built around the good die young, you had to be bad. It was survival. Play the cards you are given until your hand is out or you hit jackpot.

"Yes, Sir..."