Chapter 38

The silver Chiron stopped right outside the spacious modern-style home. The house was painted soft white with silver and black chrome accents. Its design more box-shaped to give it that futuristic feel. People built homes like this to flash how tech-savvy they were. Likely everything down to the lamps in the living room to the complex security system was likely controlled via their phones. Something mindful to note for later.

You wasted no time in wait for your partner to exit the vehicle after parking. Swinging the door open, you slithered out in haste to finally get fresh air that Taehyung didn't contaminate.

He met you on the passenger side. His dark eyes were in a demeaning scowl as he offered up his arm for you to take. Like a gentleman, he was giving you his elbow to lean on. Your eyes rolled as you quickly thrust his arm down and away from you. Taehyung seemed confused.

"This isn't the fucking victoria area." You muttered at him as your eyes bounced his form. "This couple expects young, vibrant, open-minded people. Not prude old fashion bitches."

You quickly grabbed his wrist before slipping your hand into his palm and lacing your fingers together. His hand quickly eclipsed your own with its size. You took a step closer despite your distaste and plastered on your sweetest, love-struck smile as you rested your head on his shoulder. You could feel a shiver run up Taehyung's spine as he tried to shake off his hatred.

The two of you headed for the door. The sounds of soft jazz and casual chatter quickly came to your senses before Taehyung grabbed the door with his free hand and opened it for both of you. You lead the way inside, careful not to break your connection with Taehyung as you two filter into the crowd.

"You're... Kasey, right?" A soft silky voice asked from your right. Your head whipped around, bleach blonde locks swaying as you met eyes with a blonde-haired, blue-eyed wonder.

"Yes." You offered a casual nod, seeming confused, before taking a sudden breath. "Soon to me, Ms. Roth, right?" You knew who she was the second you saw her but had to fake some surprise.

"Yes!" She cheered as she placed her dainty hand on your bicep, giving it a soft squeeze. "I'm so pleased you and your date could make it. You wouldn't believe how many people flaked." She sighed.

"Well, they just don't know what they're missing." Taehyung smooth and deep voice cut in as he inserted himself into the conversation. Offering out his hand, he gestured to the soon-to-be Roth wife- Rina - to which she politely placed her palm into.

"It's a pleasure to meet you finally." He purred as smooth as butter as he brought her hand up and offered a feather-light kiss to her knuckles. Inwardly, you felt yourself wanting to gag. So brash, come on. Be original. Rina's cheeks heated nonetheless.

"Come. Why don't I introduce you to Phillip?" Rina grabbed your hand and began to lead you through the crowd with Taehyung in toe.

His hands stuffed deep into his pockets, a sinister grin plastered on his lips as he conjured something devious in his head. You wished you could tell what that look was for, but you only caught it in a glance before your trip stopped.

"Babe, this is Kasey and Samuel." She quickly introduced the two of you by your fake names. From your understanding, R had responded to your invite with limited information about the two of you and your false identity.

"Sam." Taehyung corrected as he was the first to extend his hand. "Thank you for having us."

You smiled in agreement as you felt Rina snuggling up to your arm. Perhaps Taehyung was right to leave your options open. Was she hitting on you?

"It's so refreshing to find such lively people nowadays. Most are too prude even to consider opening themselves up like this." You cooed, trying to find that relatable nerve to stride and filter you closer into their inner circle. "What made you guys decide to 'open yourselves up'?" You directed your question toward Phillip and Rina, letting your contact hazel eyes bounce between them before creasing on the woman latched to your arm.

"It's just to keep the fun and excitement alive, even after marriage." Rina giggled, batting her pretty lashes toward her fiance.

"There's just no reason to limit yourself in this lifetime. We're not here nearly long enough to live without adventure," Phillip said, complimenting his fiance's statement as he gave her a charming smile.

Too bad Phillip didn't realize his life would be cut short in just a few hours, and perhaps Rina's as well. They better live it up while they can.

"How right you are, Philip." Taehyung chimed in with a burst of deep, rumbling laughter. Raising his hand, he placed it on the man's shoulder and gave it a squeeze. Phillip beamed his smile toward your partner in crime.

"Ah! Sweety! The Chapman's have arrived." Rina finally unlatched from your arm as she grabbed onto Phillip with excitement. "We need to go welcome them."

"Yes. Okay." He nodded in agreement before nodding his head toward you and Taehyung. "Excuse us; we have to go make the greeting rounds." Rina began to pull him along, and he followed close beside. "I hope we can get better acquainted later." He added.

Shamelessly, he dropped his left lid and offered up a flirtatious wink in your direction before turning his attention back on his fiance and heading into the crowd. With their backs turned, you had no shame in plastering on a grin. You tucked your arms together, folding them at your chest as your bag curled into the bend of your arm.

"Looks to me like I wouldn't even need you for this assignment. I've got both of them panning after me already." With a cocky grin, you leaned closer to Tarhyung to boast without being overheard.

Taehyung just scuffed, rolling his chocolate eyes as he extended his arm. His hand slithered around your waist and rested on the opposite hip as he pulled you close to whisper into your ear.

"Please--" He scuffed though anyone listening would have taken it as an amusing bout of laughter. "Let's not forget who the professional is here."

"You talk a big game, but I haven't seen you do a damn thing yet." Quickly, you dug your elbow into his side, sneering as you straightened your shoulders. "Excuse me for not being impressed by imaginary skills."

This time, Taehyung genuinely laughed. His broad chest rumbled as his throat hummed with his delight. He turned his eyes back on you, flicking up one brow as he let his velvet voice purr from his lips.

"You wanna make a wager?"