Chapter 31

You scarfed down your food abnormally fast, whatever it took to get you out of the room with that blonde-haired bomb of insanity. Doing so earned a questionable look from Hoseok, but you paid it no mind. You followed along with their little lies. You owed them nothing else.

After a long, steamy shower in your walk-in bath, you emerged and slipped into comfortable navy blue pajama shorts. A white tank top over your chest freed your arms. You nestled into the warmth of the blankets, though your body seemed restless. 

What were you doing? It'd been a few weeks since you joined the 'gang,' but no sense of comfort came from your new-found stance in the organization.

You were living in a house with a maniac, a conman, a deceiver, a getaway driver, a backstabbing brother, and a ring leader who was more ruthless than yourself. Hoseok and Jungkook were probably the tamest of the bunch, though you didn't know Hoseok well, and your favor toward Jungkook was mostly attraction based. There wasn't any real premise to like him otherwise.

Some nights you were laying your life in the hands of men, you couldn't trust, and likely they didn't trust you either. Was this all just some long hall game that R was playing? Was he trying to get you to lower your defenses, trust them, rely on them, then rip the rug from under your feet and floor you again? Or did he truly want you to become a trusted member of his gang?

Hell, knowing that twisted psychopath of a man, it could be both. He was a sadist deep down; part of you knew he enjoyed inflicting pain and superiority on those around him. That he got his rocks off being the top dog, though being beneath anyone brought your blood to a boil. To be someone's 'bitch' was a sour taste of pure shit. You couldn't stand following orders, to be given orders, and expected to follow so blindly.

Your choices seemed beak, grim even. You folded your legs under the blankets and propped your elbows on your knees. Your hands pressed against your cheeks as your propped your head up with your hands in your pathetic wallowing of self-doubt and pity. Once again, you had to convince yourself to play this out for the long hall. Tuck away some money, bid your time, make some connections, and wait for the perfect moment to either strike or run. It'd be what to expect if you were to try and leave now, even after a few weeks. R seemed to know you better than you knew yourself at times, and he was likely expecting any move you could throw at him now.

Though, if you played it a long hall, perhaps got his trust and the trust of the other guys, maybe you could slip from his grasp so much easier and turn the tables on him, but how long was that hall? A few months? A year? Five? There was no telling; clearly, patients weren't your strong suit.

Tossing your hands down, you released a grunt of irritation as you slapped your bed. Though just as you turned yourself to the side, ready to twitch off the new lamp beside you - replaced after you had broken the last one - you heard a soft knock at the door. Your eyes snapped up, staring at the rounded frame, mind racing at who might be behind the wood. You made no sound, not wanting to know. Perhaps whoever it was would assume you were asleep and leave peacefully, but the beaming light from inside gave you away.

"Y/N, Are you awake?" A whispering voice questioned from the other side. The knob twisted, and the door opened just a crack. Not enough to see into the room, but enough to extend the voice and for it to come out more clearly behind the thick door. It took a second, but you quickly recognized the smooth, honey-riddled voice of the owner.

"Jungkook?" You questioned aloud as you leaned forward on your bed. His name gave him enough confidence to open the door further and peek inside. Those doe brown eyes peered into the room with caution as that luscious head of chocolate brown hair framed his face. He dyed his hair. He was still a sight for sore eyes. "Baby boy, what're you doing here?" Even if you were irritated, you couldn't drop the nickname.