Chapter 37

Silence is what consumed the car as Taehyung rested behind the wheel. You weren't even given a driver, nor a limo. Trapped in a silver Bugatti Chiron with a guy you couldn't even stand to look at.

Based on R's last statement, you figured you were most likely paired together on this assignment to try and build some 'team morale', and you supposed R had a point. Your acting skills were legendary, and you had heard the same about Taehyung.

"So, our back story?" You opted to break the silence after forty-five minutes of mind-numbing boredom. "We need to be on the same page."

"My name's Samuel Reed, we got engaged this past spring and we've been together for just over two years." He began to weave the web of lies. "You're Kasey Bowers, the daughter of an oil field tycoon. My father runs a series of copper mines in the south."

Not a half-bad story, at least he thought ahead. Though the choices of names seemed peculiar, they weren't terrible. Shrugging your shoulders you took in a breath.

"When and why did we decide to become swingers?" You added, figuring it was a logical question someone may ask. You were trying to give him a chance to lead the operation, seeing as if you didn't, it'd likely only start another argument or backhanded comment about how you blew your last job.

"Realistically, we became swingers because my fiance is too much of a bitch and I have to pawn her off on other men just to be able to get some from someone who's half decent." Taehyung said as he released the wheel and offered up a wide shrug with one arm.

Raising your hand you swiftly brought your fist to his bicep and punched him as hard as you were capable of in such a closed space as you growled.

"Fuck you, blue-bitch!" You snarled, withdrawing your hand. "I can do things in bed that would make your head fucking spin."

"It'd be spinning in attempts to contain the vomit, trust me." Taehyung said back simply with a flick of his brows. He rolled his shoulder as he adjusted the muscles you had just assaulted. He had a comeback for everything. "We just became swingers to spice things up about a year ago." He finally answered you. "And to offer more range, just tell them we both go both ways just in case either one of them is feeling extra frisky so we don't limit ourselves."

"Do you actually swing both ways?" You decided to question as your brow hiked up and your head turned to him. The street lights that passed the car caused his face the laminate in such a way that his skin seemed to glow.

"That's personal, but I do what I need to do for a job." He kept his focus on the road. "Bet your ass though if I am, I'm not a bottom."

You couldn't help but snort at his sudden declaration of power. "Yeah, okay." You quickly added with a mutter under your breath. Isn't that what most men say if they're forced in a hypothetical homosexual relationship? Leaning back in your seat, you crossed your legs, causing your little black dress to ride up a bit higher. 

"Look, I don't know what you can do or how good you are," you started to say as your eyes stared pensively out of the windshield, "just don't blow this job because of your distaste for me. Trust me, I hate you just as much." You pointed out before taking in a long deep breath. 

"My skill set is more refined than yours, little girl." Taehyung replied back with a faint snarl, his hand atop the wheel gripping it a bit tighter as the blue veins in his hands began to pop. "While you were running a piss poor operation by yourself, I was perfecting my skill set with the 'big boys'. So don't lecture me about 'blowing' this case. Especially since you're the one that 'blew' the last client instead of knocking them off like you should have fucking done." 

"First off, I didn't blow him!" You snapped as your head jerked to the left. "Second, I fixed the mistake. So fuck off with that bullshit!" Unfolding your arms you thrust an accusatory finger in his direction. "Jesus-fuck you sound like an ex-girlfriend who got dumped and can't let it the fuck go. The case didn't even involve you!" 

"The case involved the organization, thus it involved me. Your fuck-ups inevitably reflect on all of us." Taehyung shot his dark eyes toward you quickly before reverting them back to the road ahead. "So learn from your mistakes and do better or just walk out of this organization now." 

Scoffing, a deep breath left your nose as you ripped your finger back and your gaze from him. You stared straight ahead with an irritated glare. Yeah, if only you had the luxury of just walking out, you'd have been long gone by now. Perhaps he didn't know the circumstances of your employment. You weren't about to tell him either and sound like some charity case or battered woman that needed his help. Trust no one, confide in no one, care for no one other than yourself... One day you'd get your freedom back. At least, that's what you had to tell yourself.