Chapter 99

You had been sitting in bed for a good long while now, staring at the ceiling. You felt strange, like your mind was playing tricks on you. Anytime you tried to close your eyes and sleep, something would shift, or you would hear a creaking from somewhere in the room. Your eyes were catching shadows and reflections, seeing things that weren’t there, and your ears heard sounds that only you could hear. Ven and Lulu never did tell you what they thought was wrong with you, and you figured that if it was something serious then they would have told you.

At the moment, you were just looking up, preferring seeing shadows to heard voices and footsteps and music. You had no clue what time it was, all you knew was that it was dark. But then, it was pretty much always dark in traverse town, with just a few short hours of sunlight from around 8 in the morning until 4, then it would get dark again.

Ven had tried to put you to sleep with some magic, but you woke up to the thumping of your own heart beating painfully against your chest. Once you had woken up, you couldn’t get back to sleep, and you couldn’t get yourself to calm down. You were in a state of constant, sickening dread that you couldn’t get yourself out of, no matter how much you argued with your instincts. You would tell yourself that there was nothing there, even if there was, you were surrounded by family, and Ichigo was literally a room away. There was no way anything bad was going to happen. All the same, it was kind of hard to argue with the pit of terror in your stomach. You were afraid even to close your eyes, because every time you did you could see a maddening red, dripping, thick liquid rushing from the corner of your mind.

You go stick of listening to yourself think, and sat up to look out the window. Next to your house was Riku’s fairly large 2 story, his room was facing yours on the second floor, so you had to look down to see his room. The curtains were drawn, so you couldn’t see anything in there, but you figured he was sleeping tight in bed, like you were supposed to be. On the far side of his house was the Rostar’s house. You had never been inside, and didn’t know where Roxas or Sora’s rooms were. Though you had seen Sora wave to you from one of the rooms occasionally, you didn’t know if that was actually his room or not. You did know that Ven lived on the top floor of their house, in a type of finished attic, where you had seen him pacing around several hours before. Remembering what a miserable time Ven must be having being back home, and what Riku—and his mother—must be going through, what Sora must be feeling with all of his concussions, Zack with his broken hand and fractured knee….maybe going out of your mind was the worst thing going on right now.

Just as you were beginning to calm yourself down, you saw something move in the shadows out of the corner of your eye. Everything you had just told yourself, about how you should stop feeling sorry for yourself, went right out the window as your heart jumped into overdrive and your resolve shattered like fragile glass. You could feel your heart beating in your throat, and you summoned a fireball in your palm to help you see in the dark. When you saw what it was, you wanted to smack yourself. Kon was in the middle of the room, making his way towards you. You jumped out of bed and grabbed him, threw him out of your room and locked the door after him. You crawled back into bed, feeling sick. You decided that sleeping wasn’t going to be an option, so you grabbed your phone and began to scroll through your contacts, found who you wanted, and hit send.

The phone only rang a few times before it was answered, “Hello?”

“Gippal? Is that you?” You asked, trying to keep your voice as calm as possible.

“Yes, what’s up?”

“Can I talk to you?”

“….you already are….”

“No, I mean, like, face to face..”

“If you’re asking me to get out of bed, you will just have to—”