Chapter 96

Sometime during your healing session you had passed out, but Ven decided to let you sleep for as long as you could while things were still calm. Sephiroth, Kadaj, Yazoo, and Loz had all disappeared, but he could tell they were still around. Ven had just begun to look at your more serious injuries, the stab wounds, the broken back, and your sever concussion. He saw you were cradling your hand unconsciously and he decided to take a look. It was the hand that Sephiroth stomped into the ground, and there wasn’t a bone in there that wasn’t cracked or broken in some way.

You began to wake up as he messed with your hand.

“Do you know where the others are?” you asked, but he was concentrating on his work more than he was expecting you to say something to him. He was a bit busy at the moment. “Ven?”

“≈≈≈≈≈≈, please, rest up while you can. I can’t guarantee I can help you. They could be back any second now…” He trailed off as he tried to get back to healing.

“We need to—” You sat up, your mind only on the others. Everyone was separated into groups, some of them were even on their own. You couldn’t just sit back at a time like this. Ven cut you off and forced you to sit back.

“Please just…sit still. You can fuss, and whine, and whatever else you want to do, as soon as we’re safe—” Before he could finish the thought, the window shattered and the blew into the room. Shards of glass rained down on the two of you, and the candle blew out. The room grew dark and the wind howling outside was the only sound you could hear.

Ven snatched you out of the bed and pushed you behind him as he began to back away from the window. Ven handed you your shoes and told you to get your stuff on, then run.

You were surprised by how hard it was for you to stand, and even harder for you to get the shoes on with your feet in the bent up condition they were in, but you managed. The bigger problem was that you were about to lose consciousness. 

"Stay awake." He said, hitting you on the temple with his pointer. The feeling didn't leave you, but you werent able to close your eyes for longer than a few seconds. He used some strange magic to keep you from losing consciousness. It was risky, but he couldnt afford for you to lose it right now.

“Are they on?” He asked, keeping his eyes locked on the window.

“Yeah, but—”

“Go. Get out of here.”

“I’m not just going to—”

“≈≈≈≈≈≈ you are going to die. If you get any worse, you will die. Get out of here now.”

“I’m fine, and I’m not leaving.” You argued, putting a hand on his shoulder to make him stop backing up. He put his hand on yours and felt your wrist for a pulse.

“You are dying as we speak. If you take any more hits—”

“Did you hear that?” You interrupted, thinking you heard something outside. You strained your eyes through the darkness to see if there was anything moving. The curtains were flapping in the wind, making it hard to see anything. “Is anyone there?” you asked Ven as best you could. Being vertical was taking its toll on you.

“I don’t know. Just stay behind me.” He said, squinting out into the darkness.

“Do you see—” Before you could finish your sentence, he turned around and tackled you to the ground. As you fell to the floor, you heard two gunshots fired. One whizzed through your hair and hit the wall behind you, but you didn’t know where the second one went until you heard Ven let out a staggered breath.