Chapter 140

Just to let you all know, 40 pages is not the new 10. I don't expect to be writing one this long again for a good long while, so please don't think I've gone crazy and will become increasingly more exhausting to read...I swear I would have broken this chapter into two if it wasn't so damn plot heavy all the way through. The important ones gotta be long, you know? ...Not to say the ones coming up aren't important, but not so important that everything is happening all at once like in this chapter and in 139. 

This probably wouldn't even matter if we still had the goddamn page layout on watty. This endless scrolling shit gets old. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You woke up to the painfully annoying chirping of your earpiece blaring in your ear. You hit the silencing button, but it just started ringing again right away. You sighed and gave a harsh "What?" as you answered it.

"Pleasant as always, Ballad." It was Lightning, and you shot upright, wondering if you had forgotten a training session or something. You settled back down, remembering that you had just come back from a mission, and that you had no new assignments as of yet, with all the commotion going on with the ceremonies.

"It's officially been made Strife now." You said as you settled back down, your head resting on (BOC)'s arm before he stirred and pulled you over into his chest.

"Oh yeah? Earn it." Came her curt reply.

"What do you want Light?" You gave a heavy sigh. It was too early for her intensity.

"I'm your commanding officer, Ballad, show some respect."

"Ballad here, reporting for duty. Orders, Ma'am?" You said in as sarcastic and bitter a voice as you could.

She scoffed, "You've been assigned. Briefing scheduled for 20:00."

"Assigned? But I just got bac—"

"You complaining, Ballad?"

"20:00. Roger, roger." You said as you yawned and snuggled into a comfortable position against (BOC) before mumbling back to Lighting, "You know you could have told me about this at 7:00...19:00."

"And let you get used to sleeping in? You've been going on like you're on vacation."

"I just got back!!"

"Nice excuse. See you at the briefing. Over."

"Yeah, yeah, good riddance." You said after hitting the end button and rolling over to go back to sleep. Before you closed you eyes, there was a quiet tapping on your door, and you shot upright. "Oh shit." You were in bed with a boy so early in the morning that it would be obvious he was there the whole night. Cloud and Tifa would not be happy about that.

"Get up." You nudged him with a near silent whisper, and he groaned lightly and turned away. "Come on you big lug, get up." You gave him a less than gentle couple of slaps on the cheek, and he slowly began to stir. "Good morning sunshine. We're about to die" You shook him a little to get him focused. The sleepy, confused expression on his face wasn't helping the situation as the door handle began to turn against the lock.

"What? What is it?" He asked lazily, fighting you a little bit, but ultimately giving in as you pulled his arm to get him sitting. He gazed around blinking, trying to figure out what you were so panicked about.

"≈≈≈≈≈≈?" Someone called in a hushed tone from the hall.

"You gotta get out of here. They still don't know you stayed the night!"

"I am not scared of Cloud." He grumbled like a child.

"He's not the one I'm worried about. Tifa will kill you."