Chapter 136

Finally, right? Just know that...there may be a place or two where you get mad at me for being a lazy writer. You'll see what I mean, and hopefully you wont care as much as I dont care, so we can all move on. xD

Anyway, sorry about the wait! On we go!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~At the Golden Chocobo~

Ven and Amelia were talking quietly over their dinner; though Ven was distracted by the glowing green wayfinder he had resting on his knee under the table where she couldn’t see it.

They were currently talking about her latest research project, which was so far above Ven’s head he wasn’t even really trying to pay attention.

“So we’ve been exposing all of the different ferns to mako energy generated light rather than natural sun light, and have found that the growth rate has increased at almost exponential rates. I swear, it’s like steroids for the plants.”

“Or it’s just slowly giving everything cancer, and that growth rate is just coming from rapid, uncontrollable and unstoppable cell division.” Ven shrugged, taking a bite of his macaroni. Yup. 5 star restaurant and he got mac and cheese. At least it had some lobster in it, but that wasn’t the reason he ordered it.

“Don’t be so negative Ventus. My ferns have never been healthier, and I’ve never been happier. ” She gave him a soft smile as she cut up another piece of steak to eat.

“I’m glad. Just…be careful around mako energy.” He warned, and she reached across the table to touch his hand.

“I appreciate your concern, but come on. Everyone uses mako energy. Don’t they pump the SOLDIERS full of it?”

“Yeah, and have you ever met an old SOLDIER?”

“Well…no…don’t they just retire after a certain age?”

“No Ames, they expire after a certain age.”

She leaned back in her chair, seeming a bit distressed. She twirled her fork in her hand, thinking deeply, then shrugged and took a bite of food, ”Well, at least if they’re going to sacrifice themselves, they’re doing it in service of protecting the people.”

“I guess, but at what cost?”

“That’s just the cost of a super soldier. To make a man that inhumanly powerful has a price. That’s why ShinRa began researching alternative methods, and ultimately led to the stigma being formed.”

“If they wanted a longer living SOLDIER, then they got one.” Ven rolled his eyes bitterly at the thought of how stupid and unfair it was that his life had been thrown off course because of some greedy bastards’ quest for more power some 25 years ago. “Too bad they couldn’t control him.”

“Sephiroth right?” She asked curiously, her eyebrow rising slightly.

“Yeah…” He fell silent, thinking back at some of his encounters with the devil of a man.

“Have you ever met Sephiroth?”

“Well…you don’t really meet Sephiroth. Like I’ve never had a conversation with the man, but he’s attacked us before, so yeah I guess we’ve met.”

“Us?”

“Me and the other guys with Geostigma. Geostigma made him last longer than mako energy would, but he’s apparently fading fast. He needs everyone with Geostigma in one place so he can study them and try to find a way to save himself.”