3.18| The Timid Princess Xing Ruo

Last chapter of the arc. Enjoy~

+++

The female protagonist of this world, Princess Yao Lei, was the fourth princess born under the Imperial Concubine. She had the lowest title amongst all of her sisters, and this caused her to be neglected ever since the day she was born, even by her own mother.

Ever since she remembered, only her nanny Ling Lan was by her side. When she woke up, when she eats, or when she sleeps, Ling Lan took care of everything for her. When she was bullied, and ostracized by other children and adults, she would step up to protect her even if it meant losing her life. For Princess Yao Lei, she owed too much to this mother figure in her life. Without her, she would be dead by now, poisoned or assassinated under the schemes of her own sisters and die as a nobody.

There was one accident that took Ling Lan's life. At that time, she was only 12 years old, a young sapling full of shyness. She was playing her toys alone by the pond in her backyard, accompanied by another servant because Ling Lan had a high fever on that day. Then a young and beautiful child suddenly approached her from behind.

"What are you playing?" The soft voice startled her.

"Ah? My toys." Princess Yao Lei answered.

"Oh. They look ugly." The beautiful child frowned in disgust, "You should be a commoner right? How can you get in here? Only the imperial family can be here. That's what my mother said."

Princess Yao Lei dumbly looked at her.

Annoyed that the other was unresponsive at her words, the beautiful child violently grabbed her hand, and dragged her out, "You're so dumb! You don't even understand the double meaning of my words?! Get out of my house! You don't belong here!"

"N-no.. this.. This is my home.." In the midst of their ruckus, Princess Yao Lei barely made out a sentence. Her wrists resisted the hand that pulled her.

Only to be shut down by the beautiful child.

"Ah? Your house? You can dream! You don't belong here! You think you can afford this huge residence?! Even if you work your whole life, you can't even afford a penny of it!" The beautiful child spit out nasty words, "You know where you belong? You belong in the streets, grovelling on the ground as you ask for food. That's where you belong!"

"Now get out of my house, before I tell my mom that there's a rat living with us!"

Push!

Princess Yao Lei who was filled with wrath and ire, immediately pushed the beautiful child into the cold pond. The servants who had watched from the sides went into shock, panicking from the sudden incident. The news after that spread far and wide.

On that day, she realised that the young lady was in fact Princess Xiu Lan who was the third Imperial Princess born from the Emperor's favorite Consort Pan. Although Princess Xiu Lan had a lower status than herself, the young lady held the title of Grand Princess, which was a title given to the Emperor's favourite daughter.

Knowing that his favourite daughter was harmed by another daughter, who never even appeared in front of him, almost caused the Emperor to unleash his fury on the young child. But even then, Princess Yao Lei did not escape the punishment. She was given a punishment of 25 strokes of flog, the amount used on a healthy adult.

Ling Lan, who had a fever at that time, heard the bad news and immediately rose up from her bed and made her way into the palace hall. She pleaded with the Emperor to give Princess Yao Lei some mercy before finally offering to take the punishment in her place. Princess Yao Lei escaped uninjured, but the only person who cared for her died just like that.