1.16| The Apathetic Young Master Li

A lot of people have been spamming me with votes recently, so I just wanna say thank you to those who did!! I'd also really appreciate it if you can leave your thoughts at the comment section (though I know that most of you are shy readers hehe).

Enjoy the chapter~

+++

Under the thick blanket, Li Mu could feel his consciousness sinking, floating in the darkness as his vision blurred.

A memory when he was young rose up from the depths of his mind.

Unknown whether it was day or night, or what day it is, Li Mu finally opened his eyes.

His eyes blearily opened only to make contact with a cold pair of eyes that was looking down on his young self.

"Mommy?" A soft childish voice rang out.

A voice belonging to a young child.

It came from him, and yet he has no recollection of moving his lips.

"Mommy. Will you come home tomorrow?" He spoke again.

His small hands tugged on the woman's dress.

The woman frowned as her attention was taken away from the documents in her hand, she coldly answered, "No, mom is busy."

Dejected, the young boy spoke again, "...but tomorrow is my birthday."

"Oh."

She spat out, as if the matter further disinterest her. "Mom will give you a lot of presents tomorrow, so don't bother me now."

"Go entertain yourself, Li Mu."

The child bit his lower lips, his hands tightening on the woman's dress, unwilling to let go.

But after a second, the child sighed, his hands released the dress as they powerlessly fell to his sides.

"Okay, mom."

-

The memory turned to blurs, changing to another scene. This time the young child was laying on the bed, his room was enveloped in darkness.

His body shivered in the cold, laying on the bed weakly as his hands pulled his blanket tighter, searching for the warmth that it could give him. Through his barely conscious mind, his ears picked up the voices that were having a conversation in front of the room.

"The young master hasn't had his dinner yet. We should call him to come out of the room." A female voice spoke.

"Leave that child be. He's just a bastard child who's making a ruckus." Another one snorted.

"Yeah, since he thinks he's so important, just let him starve to death in that room. Just see whether he will come out or not by that time."

"He's already 6 years old, yet he can't even eat by himself. Did he think we're his parents?"

"If his parents don't even care about him, why should we care? We're servants anyway. We don't have to go out of our way to please him when he's not even favored in this house." Then a pause. "It's way too late to have dinner anyway, let's all go back to our rooms and call it a night."

As the voices went away, the shadows did too. Li Mu's grip on the bedsheets tightened, tears threatening to fall down from the corner of his eyes. But he quickly blinked the tears away, quickly closing his eyes as he tried to escape from the nightmare that he's in.

-

"...Did you not see that the fever almost made him lose his life?!"

"—Just see what will happen if the young master's life can't be saved!"