1.4| The Apathetic Young Master Li

In one of the highest floors of a high-rise building. A large private office expanded from corner to corner. The walls and ceilings were painted with masculine dark colors. The floors were carpeted with nylon tiles, designed to suit the owner's preferences. The floor to ceiling windows were giving magnificent views in two directions: the busy street below and the downtown area just a few blocks north.

In the center of the room were two black leather sofas facing each other with a big coffee table in between them. An L-shaped executive desk was particularly eye-catching, especially with an attractive yet sharp man sitting behind it. A small stack of paper was sitting on one side of the desk, waiting for the man to sign and gave approval to them, but the man paid them no attention. His attention were currently captured by the young man in front of him.

A secretary was standing in front of the table, his forehead perspiring from the heavy tension that circulated around the room. It was so severe and pervasive that he kept his head bowed down, his gaze landing onto the floor, not meeting his boss' gaze that could literally drill a hole into his skull.

"Well?" A cold deep voice rang out.

Xia Min's body shook violently, his mouth choked on his saliva, "Y-young m-master, it- it was not my i-intention to introduce you to Ms. Bai. I-it was under the orders of your m-mother, Lady Ping."

The man continued to stare at his secretary silently before speaking again, "Xia Min, how long have you been accompanying me?"

"F-five years, young m-master.." Xia Min fidgeted his fingers.

"Tell me, during those five years, are you my, Li Mu's secretary, or are you Duan Ping's secretary?"

"Y-yours, y-young master..."

"Since you know the facts and still behaves un-accordingly, it seems that it's time for you to retire, don't you think so?"

Xia Min flinched strongly. His body quaked in fear as he bent his knees into a kneeling position and knowtowed on the ground. "P-please, young master! This servant knows his mistake! I won't repeat it again!"

You won't, huh. But, you will.

Again and again. Repeating the process.

After all you're that fox's subordinate.

"You're dismissed. No need to come to work from tomorrow onwards. Send in your resignation." Li Mu waved his hand casually as a couple of guards barged into the room and dragged the secretary by the collar. His incessant pleas and excuses fell on deaf ears.

"Oh. Wait a minute." Li Mu pulled up his forefinger.

The guards paused in response. Xia Min's eyes sparkled thinking that his young master changed his mind.

"Do tell my mother that her chance to develop a parental relationship with me has ended 20 years ago. She has no right to control my life since then." Li Mu stated. "Now, you can go."

The guards dragged the young secretary out of the room and the door closed with a soft click.

Li Mu sighed inwardly, it's gonna take time to find the new secretary...

Li Mu and his parents had never had a proper conversation ever since the day he was born. Never had they ever talk in the dining table as they shared their food together, never had they ever spent their weekends or holidays together.

Nor had he experience what familial love is.

He tried vying for their attention but he grew tired of it as he was continuously given a cold shoulder.

Friendship also couldn't satisfy his loneliness as his friends were only there for the benefits that they could squeeze out of him.

Young Li Mu grew up to be independent and not relying on other people, but at the same time his emotions died down with the passing of time— he became detached and cold.

Or as other people say, an emotionless robot.

The mother that he knew never cared for him finally barged into his life when he reached adulthood, his 18th birthday. His mother started going home every day to see him since that day. She showered him with so much hugs and care that he forgot the pain he went through all those years. She brought him presents during holidays and took care of him when he was sick.

Even though it was short-lived, he clung on it as if it's a life saving straw.

That is, until he found out that his mother was using him to take over his father's business.

After countless years of hardly any contact with her husband, Duan Ping found another man she dearly loved outside unbeknownst to her husband's knowledge, and an illegitimate child was born out of their illicit relationship. Yet, the child was raised differently when compared to Li Mu's childhood. The child, Zi Cheng was only 2 years younger than Li Mu but he was raised full of pampering and love.

Duan Ping's boyfriend, Zi Nian, was a competitor of the Li Company. He was greedy for power and money and asked Duan Ping to use her son (LM) to take over the Li Company. So which is why Duan Ping started to care for Li Mu on the day he reached adulthood. She wanted her son, Li Mu to talk to his father about getting his shares as his legitimate son.

Li Tao, who was already sickly and weak at that time, retired early from his position, spending the rest of his days in hospital with the help of advanced machines that could prolong his life, and thus served the highest position of his company to his own son like a silver on a platter.

When Li Mu reached 25, he successfully brought the company to the pinnacle position of the business world, shocking the masses and his enemies with his power and intelligence.

Duan Ping immediately acted her part in controlling Li Mu, intending to take over the Li Enterprise through her son without her husband's knowing.

Thankfully, though Li Mu was blinded by the momentary kindness, Sun Zhao, the old maid was not. She quickly protected her young master from the fox's clutches and let him see the ugly truth.

Since then, his last shred of familial love for his mother was torn to pieces, quickly extinguishing any possibility of it coming back.

He met Xia Min five years ago, thinking that he's a capable man worthy enough of his trust. But not even a year has passed and he was easily bought over by his mother, acting as a spy for her. He only found out about this a few years ago when he noticed the price of his stocks were rapidly decreasing over the past five years. Although the change was miniscule, if it stacked up over the years, it can lead the company to bankruptcy. He immediately found out the mole and was only waiting for the right time to fire him.

He grew up crooked, he was ruthless, yes it was true, but no matter how other people thought of him, only he himself knew his heart better— that the emotions people thought were erased, were still there somewhere.

It was expectation.

He always, every passing day expect someone to pull him out of this dark abyss. To color his world and let this monotone grey world disappear. To notice his wounds and yet still care and love him deeply. To hug him and praise him for all he did.

For staying alive.

Even at the cost of disappointment, he still expects. Even though he's tired and wish he could end it all, he still expects.

Because he knew that the moment he stop expecting— his world will fall apart.