1.12| The Apathetic Young Master Li

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I would like to thank you all for attending my 62nd birthday celebration", Duan Ping who had her wheelchair on the podium started as she held the mic in her hands, her voice soft and alluring.

"However, there is another purpose for this event other than for my birthday celebration. It involves the rumors regarding my son, Li Mu and the Bai Family's eldest daughter, Bai Ning. I'm sure you've all heard the rumours about their engagement and I would like to affirm it...", the crowds gasped in surprise, and Duan Ping calmly continued with smile hanging on her lips after she received the anticipated response, "..As adults, we won't meddle much in the matters between the youngsters, as I believe that each of them held their own responsibilities for their own actions. However as my son was already a man above his prime age, the age of 41, and yet my poor child was still unmarried till today!"

Duan Ping's heart wrenching and sad expression captured the crowds' soft hearts, "..and so I decided to take matters into my own hands. Our family would like to announce that we and Bai Family has decided to arrange a marriage for them!"

BOOM!

The whole ballroom was blown up into an uproar.

Gossips and murmurs soon filled the entire room.

At this time, several journalists that were able to sneak into the room were rushing about to call their company about the shocking news that they just received!

The tabloids quickly released the news.

#President Li finally left his bachelor days at the age of 41!

#President Li's arranged marriage with the eldest daughter of the Bai Family?!

#Lady Bai's unrequited love finally bore fruit!

Even the ugliest and distorted news was released by the press, making the public guess whether it was true or false.

#Pregnant before Marriage?! Is it a shotgun wedding?!

#Lady Bai's illegal deals with the Li Family to tie down the man of her life!

Bai Ning who was watching from the sidelines suddenly became everyone's attention. Her friends came up to her to congratulate her. She smirked inside, full of satisfaction as she looked down on her friends that were now buttering up to her. Her eyes greedily took in more of their attention as she spoke words of love and longing for the man that she thought she could never have. The crowd sympathized with her story of painful past and rejoiced for her bright future.

Li Mu was standing on the corner of the room, watching everything with cold and calm eyes. His left hand that was inside his pockets was already balled into fist, his nails digging deep into his skin. Wu Ming who stood beside him might not have felt anything different if he didn't notice that the surrounding temperature has already plummeted to zero, making him feel the dangerous cold aura that was emanating from the man beside him.

Li Mu hid the killing intent that was about to surface in his eyes, his eyebrows scrunched up in disgust at the sight of his own mother— and even more so, at the thought of marrying that two-faced vixen!

Yeah, I fucking knew it!

I should've just killed all of them from the start!

Intending to tie me down using marriage, huh?!
Did she think I'm that naive boy from back then?

They didn't even know that they're rushing to their deaths. How foolish!

Li Mu hid the dark animosity that were brewing inside his mind, a dangerous smile tugged on his lips. His brain turned gears as he reconstructed the plans he already made for them.

Heh. Since these bugs won't die no matter how many times I stepped on them, let's see if they can still survive after they lose everything!

Zi Gang, although happy by the increase in the progress bar, couldn't help but shivered when he saw the male lead's dangerous eyes that was staring intently at his own mother. The man's usual gentle gaze was now strangely imperceptible— thick darkness enveloping the man's already pitch black eyes.

Zi Gang felt a danger creeping up to his neck.

"Meow?" Zi Gang questioned the man in front of him, trying to break away from the tense atmosphere.

As if it was his imagination, Li Mu's abnormal gaze dispersed, retaining its once gentle emotions when it met with his gaze.

Wu Ming who watched the whole thing heaved in relief. He could still feel the shiver down his spine.

Uwahh... I almost died from the freezing temperature!

Li Mu downed his last glass of champagne before saying, "I'm going first. You continue to enjoy the party."

He placed the small feline inside his vest again, softly mumbling, "Stay still, baby." which received a soft meow from it.

Li Mu then quickly retreated from the ballroom, not minding his mother's emotional speech or the journalists that were running after him.

That night, his departure left behind broken hearts of the unmarried ladies as they sullenly watched him went out of their sight.

The woman in a wheelchair, who watched everything from the beginning, sent a text message to the young woman who was standing on the other side of the room.

DP: [He's gone. It's time to do your part.]

BN: [Ok.]

The young woman who was listening to her friends' conversations suddenly excused herself from the celebration and not a minute later, she retreated from the room, following the man's footsteps discreetly.

~

Few minutes after he left the ballroom, Li Mu already found out that something was wrong with his body. 

Walking towards the hotel room assigned to him, he rummaged his pocket and pulled out his room card. The man wasn't given the time to marvel about the lavishly decorated VVIP room when he stumbled into the room with staggering steps. His left hand pressed firmly against the wall, barely supporting his weak body that was about to fall at any second.

His breathing was rugged and harsh. As if in pain, Li Mu groaned and panted. He could feel his lower abdomen burning in flames, sending fervor throughout his body.

He knew this symptoms very well!

Aphrodisiac!

—Someone spiked his drink!