1.15| The Apathetic Young Master Li

It was Friday, and the Li Mansion was filled with a sombre atmosphere. Butler Mo and the head maid, Sun Zhao watched the private doctor, who sat beside their young master's bed, took his temperature with a grave expression.

This morning the servants found their young master unconscious in the hotel room with the Bai Family's eldest daughter, Bai Ning. It would have sent them misunderstandings if not for the fact that the both of them aren't laying on the bed together.

Still oblivious to the episode that happened the night before, they found their young master burning with fever while Bai's eldest daughter was unconscious due to a concussion on her head.

The servants were smart enough to cover for their master's deeds and quietly send each of them home quietly.

Which brought them to this scene.

Across them, Li Mu was lying unconscious on his large bed. His valiant and cold self was nowhere to be seen as the fever burned the man's body and spirit. His usual thin lips were so pale that they lost all their rosy colours. Occasionally, hard coughs and painful wheezing could be heard from the man's mouth as he struggled to breathe. The man's unusual pitiful condition brought his servants to reproach themselves for placing their own master to such an existing state.

"All of you allowed your young master to get into such a situation! Why didn't any of you notice that something was wrong with your young master last night? Whatsmore to even let a random woman enter his bedroom, what are the use of his bodyguards?!"

Both of the bodyguards standing at the side of the room hunched their backs as they lowered their gaze to the ground. Their expressions were filled with remorse and guilt as they kept their mouth shut.

"His temperature is already 39 degree Celsius and if you notice it sooner, the fever could be prevented." Wu Ming, the private doctor and Li Mu's childhood friend of 30 years reprimanded everyone. "I understand that as servants, all of you have a lot of stuff to do, but is it really hard to check on your own young master's condition once in a while?!"

"We're sorry, Young Master Wu, but Young Master Li rarely gets sick, and yesterday night, I went to the bathroom for a moment and didn't see anyone entering the room after that, so I thought that the room was still empty." One of the bodyguards replied with guilt. "I already knocked on the door too, just to check if someone was inside— but the door was locked and I also didn't hear any sounds throughout the night."

"Yes, we thought we were guarding an empty room."

Wu Ming massaged his forehead, his face wrinkled in anger, "Are you both stupid?! Why didn't you go search for your master instead of standing in front of the room like stupid fools?"

"Well..", One of the bodyguards blushed, "We thought he spent the night in a lady's room... we didn't want to keep the matter bigger and public, so we kept silent."

Indeed, as weird as it sounds that must be what servants are supposed to do. Servants are required to have the ability to adapt to suit their master's sudden change of preferences and situation. If the need to shut their mouth arises, then they should do as obliged and erase the said memory from their mind and act like no such thing has happened before.

Because of that Wu Ming couldn't scold them any further.

"Ha..." Wu Ming sighed. "Anyway, the deed is already done. Come back tomorrow to give your resignation. You're dismissed for the day."

Both bodyguards exited the room with solemn yet understanding expression. They knew it wasn't entirely their fault, which is why they were able to leave unscathed.

They closed the door with a click, leaving the two servants, one doctor, and one patient alone.

Butler Mo watched the whole conversation from the side silently, his expression showing his concern and blame. Sun Zhao who was standing beside him stayed calm with a mirrored expression on her face.

Butler Mo was the first person who entered the room to fetch for his young master this morning. The old butler who saw what happened couldn't help but almost got a heart attack and immediately called for the private doctor.

"We didn't even know what the hell happened in that room between your master and the Bai Family's eldest daughter the night before." Wu Ming started again.

"Both of you have been with him since he was young, far longer than I have, then you should know his habit of hiding his own problems and sickness!" Wu Ming exploded.

He looked towards the man on the bed.

"You probably don't even know that when his temperature reached above 40 degrees celsius... his life might as well fly away."

Such a thing almost happened before.

Li Mu was only 6 years old during that time. Both of his parents weren't home as usual, working and getting busy with their own lives. The servants only served their young master half-heartedly. So when young Li Mu got a fever in the middle of the night, nobody knows, not even the servants since they never checked their young master's bedroom at night.

Li Mu almost lost his life if not for the old maid Sun Zhao who was kind enough to tuck her young master to bed.

Wu Ming heaved in anger when he remembered that scene, his veins popped up as excessive worry swallowed his rational mind. He sighed before saying, "I'm going to give him medications and instructions on what you should do for him, so you better memorize what I'm about to say or, I swear to god, trouble will come find you!"

"Y-yes, Young Master Wu." Butler Mo and Sun Zhao trembled.

"And also... get that cat outside to stop scratching the damn door!"

Zi Gang who scratched the door outside all along flinched once he heard a sudden roar.

But when the door opened to reveal Sun Zhao who lowered her arms to bring away the little kitten, Zi Gang immediately slipped past her figure and went inside the room.

His four little paws ran towards his owner, jumping onto the bed before laying his small body next to the pale and sickly man.

"This cat..! Seriously..!" Wu Ming who saw the unbelievable scene showed an incredulous expression. "Your owner is sick and yet you.."

"Young Master Wu." Sun Zhao spoke up softly, "I know that pets aren't supposed to be next to their owner when they're sick, but please let Baby be next our young master. Currently, he really needs Baby's support."

"Ha..." Wu Ming sighed deeply again. I remembered Li Mu introduced the little guy to me before.. so it should be fine to leave them alone, I guess?

Also, why do I keep sighing these days? It really felt like I'm getting old.

"Fine, fine. Whatever happens after this will be your fault then."

Wu Ming then spelt out a series of instructions and names of different medicines that Li Mu was going to take before leaving the mansion with a tired expression.

Butler Mo and Sun Zhao also quickly followed the doctor's orders, giving their young master liquid medicine and changing his clothes to comfortable ones before tucking the man in the bed and turned the light off to let him rest.

The servants quietly left the room, closing the door behind them.

Li Mu who they thought was having a comfortable rest, was now currently battling with the nightmare that has haunted him for years.

Zi Gang noticed the man groaning, his mind brought him back to the scene that he experienced last night.

His touch, his kiss, the skin contact.

The kitten blushed a deep shade of red.

Zi Gang looked at the man groaning once again and sulked, his paws reached out to pinched the man's cheek.

How dare this man got sick after what he had done to me?

Now, I don't even have any reason left to punish him.