4.8| The Vicious Zombie King Chen Hua

At the entrance gate of ChengDu city,

Dozens of vehicles could be seen queuing in front of the gate, forming two neat rows that extended across the plains. Two large Humvees were amongst those vehicles.

The soldiers stationed at the entrance gate ordered the passengers to alight from their vehicles. They had to go through the security check to determine that none of the civilians who wanted to enter the city were infected. The civilians who rode the two Humvees followed the safety protocol, lining up in front of the body scanners to wait for their turn.

It was only fifteen minutes later that all passengers of the Humvees were all fully scanned and they were allowed to leave their group. Relieved that they're finally in a safe city, the group of people one by one thanked the soldiers before leaving. Their eyes held hope and expectation at exploring this unfamiliar city.

One of the soldiers, Yuan Jun's direct subordinate called Xiang Wei, saw their positivity and could only give a sympathetic smile. He knew that their hope wouldn't last more than a week; those that could work will thrive while those that couldn't were discarded to the slums, where they had to survive by scavenging food for themselves or by prostituting their own body. The Safe Zone was built so it could be safe against zombies, it wasn't built against humans. Although soldiers still patrolled around the compound, most chose to turn a blind eye against injustice that did not involve themselves or their families.

For Xiang Wei who had spent 3 months in one of the safe zones knew of such a fact. He had watched mothers abandon their children, siblings betrayed each other, and lovers turned to enemies. Such things were common.

I guess I should be glad that none of my family members are still alive. Xiang Wei mused, at least there's no burden on my shoulders.

"U-uhm.. excuse me, young man... ", A middle-aged woman with a pale face tapped his arm, "I have a question to ask, if I may..."

"Yes, of course." Xiang Wei showed a standard smile.

"Have you seen this family?" The woman pulled out an old picture from her pocket, "He's my son and they're his family members: his wife and his 3 months old daughter. We were separated in the middle of the apocalypse. I've been told that they will arrive this afternoon. An hour ago, my son called me and said that his group was stopping by a gas station on their way here. Do you know anything about them?"

Xiang Wei, who saw the familiar faces in the picture, was stunned. His lips turned dry.

He remembered that amongst all the people that banged on the Humvee doors, the man was one of those who shouted the loudest.

He remembered his desperate look, and the scream that he uttered as he begged for him to at least save his wife and child.

But he had ignored them. Just like everyone did, he had abandoned them.

The ending of the man and his family was clear in his mind— they're dead.

But explaining about their death to one of their family members left him shaking in guilt— especially when he's the cause of it.

So he lied.

".... I saw them," Xiang Wei solemnly said. "But it was too late before I could rescue them. The zombies infiltrated the gas station and they were one of the first people who got killed."

Xiang Wei omitted the part where they had to fight for the last Humvees— he was afraid that the woman would ask further questions that could reveal his lie.

The woman, as if struck by lightning, couldn't utter a few words. She could only blankly stare at the ground at the news of her family's death.

"... w-what about the child? She should be safe right?" She barely stuttered, her grip on his arm was tight, trying to cling onto the last straw of hope.