1.9| The Apathetic Young Master Li

Bai Ning watched the kitten in confusion. Is it possible it's a different cat?

Bai Ning nodded her head as she thought of the possibility. Yeah, there's no way a dead kitten would come back to life..

Just when she was about to look away...

"Oh my god! What happened to you little guy?!" Another scream came out from the woman who was holding the kitten. "What's this scar?!"

A sense of dread immediately crept up onto her as Bai Ning looked over once again. She struggled to breathe as she watched the woman flipped over the kitten in her arms, showing its abdomen and the long scar stretched out across it.

It's really the same cat!

"Oh my god! What happened to you? Who did this to you, little guy?" The surrounding employees eyed the scar with concern.

"Meow~" The kitten, as if not realising the people pitying itself, mewed cheerfully.

"Poor little guy..."

"I can't believe somebody did this to him!"

"Wait a second..if this is President Li's pet.. then does it mean...?" A female employee speculated.

"Hush! You shouldn't accuse the president!"

"Yeah, Lu Lu, even though President Li is cold and emotionless, I don't think that he's that cruel to hurt a small animal." Her older colleague berated the female employee named Lu Lu.

"S-sorry. I just thought of the possibility."

Bai Ning who watched the conversation from the afar couldn't get her head around the situation.

That cat is Li Mu gege's? How is that possible? Is it really just a different cat? No, I'm pretty sure it's the one I killed, but then how can it still be alive? It doesn't make any sense!

Should I just go over and check if it's the same cat? But then everyone would easily assume that it's my pet and they would find out that I was the killer. My image will be ruined and this simple crime will even appear on the tabloids!

Fuck! If I didn't know things would get this messy, I would have thrown that animal somewhere else!

"Young miss, the president is waiting for you." Mo De's respectful voice snapped her back to reality.

"Y-yeah. Please lead the way." Bai Ning followed the secretary with a weird expression on her face.

When they arrived in front of the president's office, Mo De knocked on the black timber door. A deep baritone voice answered, "Come in."

Opening the door, Mo De lead Bai Ning in. Her gaze was instantly caught by the handsome man sitting behind the executive desk. The man was so absorbed in his work that he didn't lift up his head to see the person coming in.

Still looking down, he curtly asked, "What's the problem?"

"President Li, the person you asked me to bring is already here." Mo De replied with an indifferent expression, his face not revealing anything.

"En. Then, let her wait for an hour outside." Li Mu said, still not lifting his head. His fingers were vigorously signing and working on the documents in his hand.

"The person is already here, president."

"En, I know. That's why I said—"

A soft cough came from the woman standing behind Mo De and the handsome man lifted up his head in surprise.

"You brought her in."

His surprise was replaced when a disgusted expression took over, "You can leave us alone."

Mo De seated the young woman on the sofa before retreating from the room, leaving the two of them alone in the room.

Li Mu stood up from his seat after he noticed his secretary was already outside. He walked to the front of his desk and leaned his bottom on the edge of the desk, still standing and has no intention to sit down on the sofa across Bai Ning.

"You've bothered my people every time you came. I intend to put a stop to your incessant visits." He coldly said, "You better make sure that your business here is worthy of all that trouble."

Bai Ning has been feeling depressed since she entered the room; her man's attention wasn't on her but was on the pile of documents on his desk. He didn't even give any smile to her when their eyes met each other!

Now that the man's attention was on her, her face beamed in happiness, as she called out, "Li Mu gege, I—"

"It's President Li to you."

Met with Li Mu's succinct reply and his menacing aura, Bai Ning choked on her saliva. Her face turned red in humiliation as if the man has bullied her. Tears started to form on the edge of her eyelashes, making her looked pitiful which usually brought tender concern from the fairer sex.

But not this time.

"Woman, if you're not here to do any business with me, then get lost." Li Mu said with a frigid expression, his coldness was like the unforgiving blizzard during winter.

"I.. I.. P-president Li..." Bai Ning stammered, clearly not used to his cold personality.

Where was the kind and gentle childhood friend that was always caring for her? What was in front of her was a changed man. A man who was foreign to her.

Growing up as the eldest daughter of the Bai Family, Bai Ning was always pampered by her parents and her wishes were always catered to her. Even if anyone was dissatisfied with her, nobody ever rebuke her like the man in front of her does.

Bai Ning started to doubt her feelings for Li Mu. Has Li Mu gege always been this cold? If he's like this, then I don't want to marry him! What if he treated me the same way even after we got married?

"I-I'm sor-" She was about to say sorry when she remembered what Li Mu's mother told her a few years ago.

"Ning-er, you probably don't know this, but even though he's cold outside, he's really a pitiful boy inside." Duan Ping lamented. "You probably don't know this but my son has always liked you in secret. Didn't you know the saying that when a man likes a woman, he likes to bully her? That's how it is with him. I hope you can understand him."

Blushing, Bai Ning asked, "Li Mu gege likes me?"

"Yes, of course. Too bad that he doesn't know how to approach girls, so he comes off as an emotionless cold man."

"I thought he always hates me because he always gave me that cold look on his face every time our eyes met.." Bai Ning muttered.

"Don't you know that everytime you sent him a love letter, he always kept it under his pillow instead of throwing them out? That son of mine was just misunderstood. I hope you can reciprocate his feelings— Oh, but I'm not forcing you or anything, so you don't have to feel uncomfortable if you don't like him that way."

Bai Ning hardened her mentality when she remembered that conversation. She erased her pitiful look and instead looked up at the man in front of her. This man secretly likes me... Is he playing hard to get? If he is, then I'll play along.

She brought out the doughnuts she brought and pushed it against his chest, softly saying, "Li Mu gege, I brought this for you. Don't forget to have lunch and take care of yourself better."

With that, she quickly left the room without looking back, not allowing the cold man to reproach her for the second time.

A voice in Bai Ning's heart softly muttered, Slowly.. I'll make you slowly fall for me.