3.3| The Timid Princess Xing Ruo

Knowing that his and his comrades' death were nearing them, General Yan decided to bring down their leader with them.

"Crown Prince Fu Lin! Let's have a one on-one sword fight! Only one of us can survive!" General Yan hollered.

He did not even think of asking for a favor to spare his comrades as he knew that if their situation was reversed, he would not even spare the Fu(s).

However, that sentence seemed to be the fuse that set the Fu(s) off.

"You bastard Hans, you still dare to ask for a sword fight?! Are you in a position of negotiation?! You think we're that easy to fool?!" Wen Ju hollered in anger, enraged by the fact that their enemies could still look down on them despite their precarious situation.

But a hand clamped down on his right shoulder, exerting full pressure.

"Enough."

Wen Ju raised his head to see Fu Lin's grey eyes blazing with intensity.

He stiffened up in an instant.

The atmosphere oozing out from the Crown Prince was entirely different than his usual self— different than the one he was extremely familiar with.

The first impression Wen Ju got from when he first met Fu Lin, was an arrogant yet simplistic brat who believes that everyone was below him, but the fact that Fu Lin had a strength to back up his arrogance, made Wen Ju to excuse his behavior.

Even before the first time they met, Wen Ju had heard of Fu Lin's significant achievements, after all the young man was personally taught by their extraordinary Emperor himself and his fame was spread wide across the country.

But even so, the young man still had to give some respect to him, after all he's a member of the Imperial Knight Order, albeit a low-ranked one. He was also acknowledged by the Emperor himself and wielded a rather sizable influence.

In this war, Wen Ju was responsible for educating the Crown Prince in matters regarding war strategies and politics, and on the assumption that the worst case scenario befell them, Wen Ju was tasked in taking control of the whole army and will be pardoned to reject the Crown Prince's orders shall they not benefit them.

That's what he thought until now, but...

"Sure thing, I accept your challenge."

The arrogance in the young man's eyes wasn't present, only a deep calmness that exerted pressure. It was as if the young man was confident in his victory.

For a second, Wen Ju was captivated by the Crown Prince's voice that the meaning of the young man's statement did not register to his brain.

However, it was not for long before Wen Ju blinked his distraction away. His expression showed a hint of panic.

"Wha—! Your highness, pardon my insolence, but you're courting for your death! General Yan is a skilled fighter who had countless years of experience in the battlefield. Fighting against him was foolish! We should just slaughter them once and for all, and quickly— Hiekk!"

Fu Lin's aura changed at his words, turning sharp as a blade. The Crown Prince's pair of piercing eyes stared deeply at Wen Ju, full of unwavering.

"Then, are you willing to take my place and fight him?"

The young man's tone was low. Heavy, even. Despite this, it reverberated so powerfully that his words were being engraved deep within Wen Ju's mind.

Wen Ju swallowed back his dry saliva. His eyes trembled and cold sweat began to pour out of his pores.

Only he himself knew best that he could not win a fight against General Yan. The Fu Empire had long abandoned the martial arts that the Hans hold dear, their advanced technologies had introduced them the power of gunpowder. Therefore in their country, only a handful of common people and some eccentric royalties still practiced it. So when General Yan proposed to have a sword fight, Wen Ju decided to refuse him as he was sure that he would be beaten. Even if he had learnt a few moves and had skills as a knight of the Imperial Knight Order, he could not beat an old man who had learnt martial arts and sword skills his whole life.