9 | Jade

I was finally back in my hometown—Brooklyn

               I missed the scenery of New York. The astonishing buildings that raced each other in a quest to touch the partially sunny sky, the streets and sidewalks full of diverse people. The weather up north was completely different than the south.

               While in my hometown, it was cold and may snow, down south it was the driest month and hot there. Both states are different in many ways with some similarities—one, the traffic.

               I came to work on the commercial scene with DaBaby and social-media influencer Jay Versace the day before. Work was out of the way and I could finally visit my mother.

               My mother still lived in Brooklyn, just in a better neighborhood than Bed-Stuy where I was raised and moved in a wealthy neighborhood. Stanley drove the Rolls Royce down the tree-lined streets, as I sat in the backseat wearing a North Face puffer jacket, high-rise flare leg jeans, and Jimmy Choo fur biker booties, anxious to lay eyes on my mother I haven't seen in ten months, while Cairo sat beside me.

               Stanley pulled in the driveway of the limestone house and I couldn't fathom sitting on the leather backseat another second, so I hopped out before Stanley could, racing up the staircase leading to the black front door. I knocked persistently, until I heard it unlock and I quickly embraced my short and curvaceous mother. She snickered, hugging me back. "Hey. It took you this long to come see your motha?"

               I pull back to stare at her Indo-Jamaican beautiful features—natural shine to her carob brown tone, big and dark brown eyes, a nose I inherited, and honey golden healthy and voluptuous hair touching her shoulders.

               "I'm sorry," I apologized. "You cut your hair!" I pointed out since last time I seen her her hair was down her back, nearly passing her behind.

               "I wanted to change it up. You would've known if you visit more." My mother stated.

               "We definitely have to start." Cairo came in, smiling dreamy. "How you, Momma Joan?"

               "I'm good, son in law." My mother hugged him briefly. "You treating my daughter well?"

               "Of course," he convinced, wrapping his arm around me. "This queen here. I wouldn't have it no other way, Momma."

               I smile as he kissed me, even though I know he told my mother a lie. Cairo had his days where he was so loving and reminded me why I married him in the first place. But then that could switch in a flash.