49 | Andi

It was Sunday afternoon and I couldn't find the correct outfit to put on for Hassan's family barbecue

It was Sunday afternoon and I couldn't find the correct outfit to put on for Hassan's family barbecue. I was a nervous wreck to actually meet his mother, even though she was always polite to me when I would eat from her food truck. But her attitude towards me can drastically change once she finds out that I'm older than her only son.

I rushed out the closet donning my bra and pencil skirt with hair rollers and stood in front of phone that was propped up on the dresser with Joie on the screen. "What about this?"

Joie eyed the ruched midi dress I placed in front of me. "Ands, it's a barbecue. That's more of a date dress. Notta 'chilling in backyard' dress. Why you making this so hard? This not your first barbecue. Get a vintage tee, shorts, sneakers, and call it a day."

"This barbecue is different." I tossed the dress on the bed and sighed. "I'm meeting his mother."

"But you know Miss Cree though. She nice."

"Yeah as a customer buying her food. Not as the older woman dating her young son." I groaned loudly, "I should've waited. The last mother I met I had to cuss out for talking shit."

"You were eighteen and Genevieve was a cunt." Joie mentioned making me laugh with her. "Seriously Ands, you thinking too much on it. If she doesn't like you because you're older, there's nothing you can do about that because her son doesn't care about your age. You not even that much older anyway. And if Hassan does allow anyone else's opinion to change how he feels about you, he's not the one."

I contemplated her words, bobbing my head. "Right. You're absolutely right."

"Well of course."

The doorbell signaled around my condo. "Someone's here. Get back to work, Cow."

"Aw! Hassan coming to scoop you up to make sure you comfortable." Joie cooed, "Have fun, Cow."

We hung up and I happily skipped to the front door. I unlocked it and pulled it open. "Hey bab—" I stopped once I realized it wasn't my boyfriend. Instead, it was Jarvis, dripped in head-to-toe Nike. "Jarvis? What...are you doing here?"

Jarvis eyed me slowly. "Expecting someone else?"

I realized I was in my bra, hauling him in and closing the door. "Why in the world are you here?"