41 | Andi

My ringing cell phone interrupted my slumber

               My ringing cell phone interrupted my slumber. I searched around the king size bed for the device, until my hand landed on it, raising it in my hand. The brightness of the screen made me squint. But the person calling brought a smile to my face and I pressed the button to accept the video call.

               The connection cleared and our faces took over the screen. "Hey there, handsome."

               Hassan shot me his entrancing smile. "What it do mama? How you doing?"

               "Well I have a headache." I groaned softly, repositioning the pillows so I could sit up. "Joie had us drink a whole bottle of Don Julio."

               "Oh y'all was lit."

               "When Joie's in charge, always.But we only had some indoor drinking fun since Jade didn't fly in today."

               "I thought it was a girl's weekend with all four of y'all?"

               "It will... once she flys in tomorrow morning. She should've came earlier like the rest of us, but that's a separate conversation."

               Thankfully, Hassan read my mind on switching topics. "You ladies seem real close. How did y'all become best friends?"

               "Caren and Joie have always known each other, practically sisters, while I met them in fourth grade. Jade came into the circle last. We didn't meet her 'til freshman year of college, well Caren met her first. That's kind of why Jade and Caren have a closer relationship." I explained.

               Hassan nodded. "That's good that y'all got each other thou. Most friendships don't last as long as y'all's have."

               "Yeah... they all I have." I wrapped myself in the throw blanket before heading out the balcony, and curling up on the padded sofa.

               He grunted low as he laid in a different position. "You never told me why that is."

               I took a deep breath, taking in the soft wind. "My m—the woman that birthed me... she gave me up right after to the hospital. I was put in the system, and in and out of foster homes. I was always kicked out because I fought too much. I never got adopted. I realize I never would be that kid blessed with a family, so I ran away. I spent so many nights over Caren's that I lost count. When I wasn't there I was staying in shelters."