39 | Caren

Our Costa Rica trip was approaching quickly, and my hair desperately in need to be styled

               Our Costa Rica trip was approaching quickly, and my hair desperately in need to be styled. Before my hair appointment with my aunt I chose to drive my mother to the location my father sent me.

               "Girl, what the hell we doing in Creekside?" My mother asked me in the passenger seat, mentioning the gated community up north.

               "To look at this house." I pulled the truck into the driveway ahead of the two-car garage.

              My mother leaned forward, staring out the windshield at the stone, traditional home. "How can for afford this already? You just start working."

               "Well I didn't buy it. Dad did." I turned the key, shutting off the engine, and unbuckling. "It's not just for me. It's for us. Hop out and come look."

               "A house your Dad bought?" My mother's confused, but she hopped out the truck with me. "Why he do this for me? I'm fine with my house."

               "Mom, just come look inside before you write it off." I stared around, "Basketball courts a nice touch."

               "Zay and Calen will love it." My mother agreed, following me towards the door. I reached under the doormat my father told me about and she chuckled behind me. "This must be a good neighborhood if keys under doormats."

               I chuckled too. "It seems that way." I unlocked the mahogany wood and glass panel entry door. I walked inside with her behind me. "Home sweet home. Hardwood floors. You like hardwood."

               She walked ahead steadily. "A study and powder room. How much is this house?"

               "Dad didn't say. Let's look around the whole place."

               The house was a nice size, spacious, with large bedrooms. A media room with a bar and wine cooler and game room. The open kitchen has large granite island, gas cooktop and butler's pantry. The closets and storage space throughout was sizable. It was a great location with easy access to freeways, shopping and dining.

               We ended at the backyard that offered a covered patio and nice size manicured grass for the kids to play. "So, what do you think? It's four rooms. Zay and Calen can share since Zay'll be leaving for college soon. Chloe's nursery, and you can have the master suite downstairs. I don't mind turning the study into a room for me."