11 | Joie

It was a Friday and the day of Misty's sixth birthday

               It was a Friday and the day of Misty's sixth birthday. While she was at school I was running around to stores with the company of Andi and Arya to help set up the house for her and the young girl's that will be here overnight for the sleepover.

               I cleared out Misty's whole bedroom to have enough room to decorate. I covered the window with the dark curtains to block the sun and strung copper-wired LED lights across the ceiling with rose gold, silver, and gold balloons and helium stars and moons. Giant foil balloons spelled out her age in front of the curtains.

               I wanted the girls to feel as if they were camping. Each tent faced the TV mounted on the soft purple wall with its own blowup bed and bedding, and soft furry blanket and pillow. The tents were personalized the kids' names along with matching custom 'Sleepover Squad' shirts and purple polka dot pajama bottoms with clear pouches of cute goodies for the girl's to enjoy.

               Since her room was all done, Andi and me were in the kitchen filling the snack caddies. Even though Andi's here, her mind was elsewhere.

               "You're somewhere else mentally," I pointed out making Andi look at me with Arya sleep in the baby carrier on her chest. "Where's your head?"

               Andi sighed. "The results are coming in tomorrow. I'm nervous as hell. Scared shitless. I don't know which one could possibly be her father."

               "You told me how Hassan was with her the other day and despite the way you and Jarvis's relationship started, you've always told me how much of a great father he was to his son. So if either one is her father, she will be loved wholeheartedly. Just know that and embrace the positive that beautiful little girl will be getting."

               Andi nodded and actually breathing easily after my advice. "Right. But how many girl's are coming?"

               "Nine from her school, plus Heidi."

               "Now, don't get me wrong, we both grew up on South Side and we know how smart mouthed girl's can be. You worried about that?"

               "At first, yes. But when I found out which girl's were coming, I met with all they Mommas and let them know if they child get smart once, they'll be traveling all the way north to come pick up they child." I told Andi and she nodded in agreement. "I met all the girls though. They was respectful."

               "Well that's good. We surely don't need any disrespectful chil'ren around here."

               "And don't."