38 | Caren

Kae being back here threw me off

               Kae being back here threw me off. It was so unexpected and out of the blue. I made sure to keep my distance from her. Our parents question me constantly on the reason, and I brush it off. I had more to focus on—my kids, career, ZC2 Bistro, and the person Jade and me are searching for—Ekon. I could've possibly gotten answers from my parents, but Kae ruined that. But I was still searching for answers.

               I sat out on the outdoor patio of ZC2 Bistro that has very much progress recently, with my laptop ahead of me and Chloe laying half sleep in my arms. Searching for a while, I could not find Uncle Ekon on any social media. However, I did find someone's face I remember—Cyndi Ogulu. Ekon's older sister that only came around a very few times a year when I was younger after finding out she even had a brother in the United States like herself after being separated due to adoption.

               The interaction I would see between Cyndi and Ekon, they genuinely loved each other.

               I knew Cyndi would be the one person to tell me the whereabouts of Uncle Ekon. She had to know. She still even lived in Texas. Just not in Dallas. Close by, though.

               So I sent her message: Hi, Cyndi. I'm not sure if you remember me, but I'm Caren AndersonDeon and Davina's daughter. I wanted to know if you've seen Uncle Ekon recently. I wanted to set up a family day and would love for him to come. You as well. Give me a call when you have the time please. (214)-555-0112 <3

               I sent it, no hesitation, with my little lie thrown in there. I wanted her to feel comfortable to even respond back even though I know Ekon's possibly in someone's grave with Claudia's reaction when I asked her that.

               I let out a deep breath and my eyeballs fell on Xavier, who held Calen in place in front of him while he spoke to another business owner around here. They've been having a long conversation now. Possibly getting to know each other and letting it be known that ZC2 would be opening here pretty soon.

               Shortly, their conversation finished up and Xavier was walking over with Calen lifted on his shoulder. Xavier flipped a laughing Calen over the patio gate, being sure he landed on his feet.

               "Gaining more friends?"

               "Called socializing and networking baby." He winked and climbed his long legs over.

               "Yeah okay," I chuckled as Calen reached in his snack bag. "It's really coming along. It looks like we're gonna make the deadline. July?"