50 | Jade

The passed five days my face have been plastered all over the news stations and talk-shows

The passed five days my face have been plastered all over the news stations and talk-shows. The home invasion story was a lie and Cairo had it all planned. Those two young men that were arrested were men that Cairo knew and been to our place several times before. It was believable, and Cairo had his way of convincing two men to agree on taking the wrap for what he did.

I knew Cairo was crazy, and I knew that he threatened me on several occasions that he would kill, but I never thought in a million years he would seriously shoot me and he did.

I stopped breathing twice—once when he shot me and the complication during surgery.

The only reason I told the officer's that the young men were the robbers was because I was afraid if I didn't Cairo would actually kill me this time. I seriously feared for my life.

Now I was in this hospital bed, donning oversize t-shirt and hospital provided socks, watching the same falsified home invasion story on the TV that has aired at least five times all this morning, on other different channels. My lip and right eye was still swollen. The pain medication my doctor had me on helped with the gunshot wound in my stomach. But I could trauma of it would never go away.

The TV cut off suddenly and my gaze averted to Cairo. "You don't need to keep watchin' that."

I swallowed, eyeballing Cairo slip on the Off-White hoodie. "H-How did you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Get two innocent men to say they done something they didn't?"

Cairo angled his head. "Innocent? There was a home invasion baby, that they strategically planned out. Did you forget?" He came to my bedside, touching my hand and made me flinch. He leaned to my ear and whispered, "You can never leave me."

Cairo rose up, smirking evilly, when my mother came in. "Okay, I'm back on duty."

"I gotta head to the label for a few," Cairo eyed me hardly for a moment, then looked at my mother. "I appreciate you staying this long. You know you don't have to."

"I can't leave my baby." My mother gave me a soft smile and stroking my hair. "You head to do what you have to, son in-law. I got her from here."

Cairo smooched me on the forehead before he left.

"Have you walked today?" My mother asked and I shook my head. "Come on. Get up. I know you're tired and it hurts. But the quicker you are up and moving, the quicker your doctor will discharge you."