34 | Jade

I sauntered down the double staircase in a black Rya Collection satin gown and Veronica Beard floral slide slippers

               I sauntered down the double staircase in a black Rya Collection satin gown and Veronica Beard floral slide slippers. I was in our gated home in Sandy Springs Georgia. It was a huge palace sitting on two acres of land and identical to Le Petit Trianon that Cairo built from the ground up four years ago, and every detail he chose himself. The fountain in the two story marble entrance hall elegantly greets whomever enters and chandelier on the high ceiling.

               It was six in the morning, the Georgia sun starting to peak above the horizon. It was the start of promotion for my 'Bare With Me' EP and I had a morning radio interview. I wasn't a morning person, so imagine my annoyance when my manager husband decided to schedule it. But I do what I normally do and get up. A whiff of a breakfast meal also had heavier pull to getting me out the comfy bed.

               In the grand kitchen was Dominique, the home chef Cairo flew in from Texas to whip meals for our temporary stay here. Dominique's a woman in her mid fifties with neat dreadlocks. "Good morning, Dom. I'm sorry you have to be up this early."

               "Don't worry about it, my lovely." She handed me a cup of coffee, "I'm on a schedule."

               I swallowed some of the hot coffee, tasting a hint of cinnamon. "Definitely what I needed."

               "Along with a nice healthy breakfast." Dominique added. "It'll be done in a few minutes."

               I nodded, sipping more of the coffee when I heard a loud yawn behind me. Coming around to eye view was the ebony beauty with long feed-in cornrows, Cairo's sister and stylist Aissa. She donned her cotton sleepwear and silk hair tire around the crown of her head.

               "Good morning!" Aissa greeted in a sing-song tone.

               "How are you so chipper this early?" I asked her as Dominique placed the plate in front of me.

               "If you've been the Cairo Norman's stylist for as long as I have, this six in the morning is nothing." Aissa responded as she poured herself coffee in a clear mug.

               I knew what Aissa meant since Cairo's known to start his days off extremely early. I ate on Dominique's infamous avocado toast that has crispy garlic breadcrumbs and topped with a fried egg, when Aissa directed a question to me. "What do you have to do before the award show tonight?"

               Tonight was performing at the Trumpet Awards apart of the Rodney Jenkins tribute. "I have a short thirty minute radio interview over at Streetz 94.5, then I have to go rehearse with the band and Sevyn, meet and greet afterwards, a quick soundcheck, and tribute the performance."