II | Jade

Six months laterAPRIL.

               "Five million every year, plus child support

"Five million every year, plus child support."

My gaze was stuck outside, overlooking 5th Avenue and the West Side of Manhattan. Within those six months I left Cairo and Dallas behind, and returned to New York. I filed for divorce and out of spite, Cairo froze me out of our money account and retained every lawyer in Texas just so I couldn't retain one for myself. As hard as it was for me to leave my child and Margo behind, returning to New York was the only way I could fight this divorce.

Cairo had control over everything, including me not being around to bond with our daughter he named himself—Sarai Jolene Norman. The name's beautiful. And while I was thousands of miles away, my six month old was bonding with a nanny. It was horrible enough that I didn't bond with her in my stomach and now I couldn't bond with her in the flesh.

My mother introduced me to a old friend of hers from Howard University and New York divorce attorney, Gwyneth Lexington. I've never heard of her myself, but my mother assured me she's a bulldog in the court. My only worry was Cairo had his own bulldog of attorneys.

"But under two conditions," Gwyneth continued and by her tone it was about to be something I wouldn't like. "Since you are still under contract with Norman Records, they aren't wanting you to release any music. And the second..."

Her pause caused me to turn around in my heels and faced Gwyneth sitting on the couch in a pink, crisp pantsuit and nude heels, with her signature bowl cut hairstyle. "Go ahead. I'm not surprised with anything my husband does anymore."

"The only way he's going to agree with joint custody is if you move back to Dallas."

"Move back—You've gotta be kidding me?" I scoffed and planted a seat on the armrest on my suede couch. "Did the judge agree to this?"

"Yes," Gwyneth confirmed.

"So let me get this straight, my dear old soon-to-be ex husband will only give me the yearly alimony, child support, and joint custody of my child, if I agree to basically be done with music and move back to Dallas?"

Gwyneth nodded and yet again I went over to the window to take a much needed breather. "He's basically trying to turn me into a stay-at-home mother that live off of his money. He knows music is my life." I turned around and sighed, "That's him still controlling me. I will agree to move back to Dallas. But not without a restraining order put on him. I don't want him anywhere near me. We'll go through a nanny that I choose. And as for me quitting music, that's not happening. That's been apart of me since forever. I'll fight to get out of my contract with Norman Records. But I'll be damned if I quit it entirely."