23 | Joie

Meetup with the mute white man, switch out duffels in different locations, and drive it to the normal whereabouts I meet Kut

It become my routine every Wednesday for the two weeks.

I minded my business, never once looking inside the duffel, even though I was tempted. I didn't want on my mind what Kut was up to. But I couldn't help my eyes that watched Kut pass off the duffel to a correctional officer on the other side of the door.

Kut closed the door as I came outta the bathroom. "I can't do this anymore," I said. "Whatever's inside those duffel bags I don't want to be involved."

Kut eyed me, expressionless. "You watch the news, right?"

"Sometimes—"

"If you watched it this mornin' you'll kno' that pro'lem you wanted handled is handled." he interrupted me with the information. "He'll be in prison for rape, gettin' what you wanted."

"I...didn't watch."

"Well, now you kno'."

"I have a question..." I crossed my arms under my breasts, "Heidi, if she's your daughter, how is she in the position she's in with a father like you? I mean, you have the pull to be outta prison for a few hours once a week. But she's in a foster home with a white woman that can't even do her hair."

Taking a deep breath, Kut sat down on the bed. "Her moms was killed in a drive by a few months ago. Heidi knows me. She kno' I'm her father, allat. But ha' moms grew up in the foster care system; only child. So, when she was killed, Heidi was placed in foster care. I couldn't take her, I'm in hea'."

"Your sister? Taveus?"

Kut chuckled under his breath. "Y'know my sister never been no motherly figure. Bitch can't even take care of the five she got now. And Taveus can't do that right now 'cause he too busy handlin' shit for me. That's why it's a good thing you met her."

I stared in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"I need you to take her."

Am I hearing correctly?

"Huh? You want me to—No." I shook my head. "I'm already bringing, I'm pretty sure, illegal shit up here to you and now you want to trap me underneath you more by taking in your daughter to further control me? Fuck no!"