Chapter 23

Tristan's POV

"Where the hell is your driver?" She asked me countless times in this half an hour. And my all time punctual driver is running late unfortunately.

"I don't know woman! You can see from your eyes that I am trying to call him." I said showing her my phone.

"Call him but don't reveal that you are here. Just confirm if nobody knows about us. I for surely think your father outdid me again." She said while looking at the ground.

"God! I don't believe my father is a cheat." I said with determination.

"We will wait till the end results. Don't be so sure that you end up slapping yourself." She said and looked at the time in her phone as I hissed at her.

"I am still saying, let us leave. Your driver will come and take the car. Poor man might be sleepy." She said and looked at me. I shook my head out of my stubbornness.

"That car is special, it's a gift. I will not leave until I leave it in safe hands." I said.

"Oh. Stubborn ass." I chuckled at her irritated expressions.

"From whom?" She asked after few moments of silence.

"What?" I asked looking at her making her look at me.

"Your car. Who gifted it?" She asked gesturing towards my car.

"My grandfather. He said it might be his last gift due to his falling health... But I know that old man will outlive my father." I chuckled hiding my sadness.

"But still you treasure it as his last. In your heart you know he is going to leave you soon." She said after observing my face making me avert my eyes.

"There he is! Thank god, now I will be more carefree." I said.

"Great. Now can we move?" I nodded and waited for Jimmy to leave.

"Yes. Let's go." As soon as I said this my phone rang loudly making her glare at me. I smiled sheepishly.

"I was waiting for Jimmy's call so didn't mute it. Will do it now. Mom is calling wait..." I said and picked it up.

"Hello Mom." I said.

"Hello darling. Where are you?" She asked in her sweet voice.

"I...am at Ivano's. I will be here overnight." I said.

"Okay."

"Why? Has something happened? Is grandpa alright?" I asked.

"Yes everything is okay. Papa was a little tired today to I attended board meeting on his behalf. Your father and I came together only after the meeting." I looked at Carmelia in triumph.

"Oh! Father is with you." I said excitedly.

"Yes. He said he has work but I dragged him out of his office. Now he is resting. These few days were very hectic I feel. He stayed overnight in his office for two times in a week." I frowned.

"Tell Papa, not to overwork himself. I will handle everything now that I am trained." I said.

"Darling, for helping him please come to office. Your whole days are spent with Ivano and Emiliano." I nodded.

"Noted Mom. Bye." I said and hung up.

"What happened?" Carmelia asked in anticipation.

"Father's at home." I said.

"But he can leave if he comes up with a plan. Let's go and enter the house. I have a feeling that he will come." I shook my head.

"Is that proof not enough? I don't think we have to research further." I said.

"But I think. Remember your words and come with me. If you don't then I will have to go alone." She said and went ahead.

I had no choice but to follow. Leaving her alone at this time is not an option so I silently walked beside her.

"I don't understand why your personality suffered a 360° change? Why are you sober?" I asked her. She looked at me.

"Recently, when I went out of Martin Mansion to collect my drugs I met my friend. School friend whom I considered best at that time. The delivery boy came at my table and dropped the drugs which she saw. Being a good soul that she was she insisted me to talk." She said while walking. Her gaze never lifted while she talked.

"Then what did you say?" I asked.

"I didn't. I wouldn't want anyone to know how I am faring in my life." She looked up while smiling sadly. I really felt as if I misunderstood her but then the images of everything she did with my friends, her son and majorly the her accusations on my father stopped me from pitying her.

"Then what exactly happened?" I asked trying to control my emotions.

"She came there with her family. She looked so happy when her daughter spilled coffee on her dress. She didn't mind at all and wiped her dress with tissue. Kissed her. I felt as if a stab went through my heart. I realized that I came out as my own mother. And that was a last stroke when she said 'my mother was not my mother but my daughter is mine only and no one else's' and I felt I should change. I threw the packets my mother sent. And from that I didn't have drugs. Just for my son." She said. I looked at her seriously.

"Isn't it too late? Your son has got motherly love from other person recently so don't go and ruin it." I said truthfully.

"Are you always this blunt? For his birth I didn't consume any drugs that explains I actually love him. But after his birth I started drugs more than normal and I was always high. I love him and I don't expect him to love me. I know that nanny of his is important in his life and I saw their bond. But I want him to be happy to see me even if it's not as his mother. Just some long lost aunt or something." She chuckled sadly as she wiped her tears.

"And I still think it's too late for that." I said.

"Blunt bastard! Have you never heard? It's never too late to start fresh." I snorted and she kicked my leg making me laugh.

*****
Surprise! Early update as I felt I should leave the grip of writing. I hope I continue that.🤣