Chapter 74

Idhaya's POV

Crippled.

Broken.

Shattered.

Irreparable.

But mostly shocked.

I know my parents can never do something like that especially when they were happy. Then why? How?

I staggered behind in disbelief, but Ivano caught me.

"They... They were happy, were they not, Ivano? This is all a joke right?" I tried to smile looking at Ivano.

"Idhaya... Don't worry. Nothing will happen to you." He said as he hugged me tightly.

"No... You should say nothing has happened to them! Why are you not saying that? Say it! Say it... You have to say it." I said as I broke the but he embraced me once again.

"I am sorry!" He said while hugging me tightly.

"What sorry! They are not... Not de... They talked to me last night, they were so happy!" I burst out crying as I pushed him.

"Idhaya... I am sorry. I know its hard on you..." Before Uncle could say anything we heard commotion at the door.

"Gentlemen... I asked you all to wait for me!" Uncle said as the team of police proceeded towards me. Ivano hastily pulled towards him and covered me as shield.

"We waited for a long time now... We have to take the accused to present her at Venice court tomorrow. There are lot of investigations which are pending. We have to hurry." One of the police man replied.

"Idhaya will not go anywhere. Do you hear me? Do what the fuck you want but I will not leave her side. You better be aware of whom you are dealing with!" Ivano threatened the inspector.

"Mr. Ivanovich Esposito, you maybe a business tycoon in this country. But a country runs as per laws of land. So you better co-operate with us." Ivano scoffed at the inspector.

"I don't bloody care about your laws when you accuse my person of something she can never ever do. You better watch the investigating officer as you have hired some stupid, non-sensical people for the work. And also let me clear this to you, we talked with our parents last night... and let me say you they looked far happy from the people who were about to commit suicide." Ivano snapped at the inspector.

"Ivano... Let me handle this. I assure you, I will personally take care that no harm is done to Idhaya." Uncle tried to calm Ivano but he just tightened his grip on me.

"NO! I cannot leave her. She didn't do it then why let her punish... no one can come near us!" Ivano's eye were red with anger, his body was shaking... making me look at him.

"Fine! Then we will have to arrest you too." I turned to the inspector who was glaring at us. 

"Do whatever you want to do... Just remember, I have people who will fight you till death if you even so little lift a finger at my girlfriend! And about me... You can rely on the fact that this business tycoon was not born yesterday! And the suicide letter you are talking about... It can be forged and it does not even serves as conclusive evidence. What else do you have in your basket?" Ivano asked the inspector. I looked at him in shock... Why is he getting himself into the trouble? We will get nothing with fights! If I want to know what really happened then we must co-operate with them.

"Ivano... Just listen to me. Don't fight please, if I am really responsible for the... The... everything here, then I must be punished. Please don't do further discussion on this... Enzo needs you. And I will " I whispered in his ears as tears kept flowing my eyes. Why is he ruining the chances of knowing the truth?

"Are you fucking mad? Just let me handle if you don't know how to!" He hissed slowly and wiped my tears.

"So... What conclusive evidence do you have?" Ivano turned to the inspector and asked him.

"Well... My investigation team is not that handicapped as you think it is. We have most conclusive evidence... That is the video of her parents. Now move aside and let us do our work." Inspector shook me to the core.

A video! They... There maybe a glimpse of truth in the video. I must see that video.

"I want to watch the video." Ivano said as he turned to Uncle Santorini.

"That is strictly prohibited. These evidence will only be displayed in the court." Inspector snapped at Ivano.

"You cannot deny me! When I say I want to watch that damn video... I will watch it. By hook or by crook." He threatened the inspector but I was least bothered. I tried to be strong... Every time!

Because I knew I have them supporting me. Loving me. But today... They left me. They waited long for me to progress in my life. I didn't give them the life they deserve.

May be I deserve to be punished? But not so much that I don't see them or hear them one last time! God knows... I tried so hard but I just could not help them I think.

Whatever that may be... But I know they wouldn't have committed suicide! Hell we didn't even lose our hope when we were homeless. So I must see this video... by hook or by crook!

"Sir... Please. Maybe a criminal is not allowed but a daughter does deserve to see her parents in privacy that is not there in court. I am ready to come after that without further questions but please let me see this video. Please! Let me see them one last time." I pushed Ivano aside and begged the inspector.

"Idhaya... You will not go." Ivano glared at me but I ignored him.

"Uncle please ask them to let me see the video." I requested Uncle to convince them.

"Please inspector... I guarantee it that she will not go back from her words." Uncle said while Ivano tried to reason me. Currently, knowing the truth is important. If I give up now then who will fight for my parents' justice?

"Fine... I will show you this video. But without further issues you will come with us." Inspector said after giving proper thought to the situation making me feel relaxed and yet anxious. What if... I don't get anything relevant in the video?