Julie: My Introduction to Elliot Masters/Just the Highlights (2)

The first time I met Elliot Masters was in seventh grade. It was fourth period, the first half of our two period English class. I was sitting in one of the groups of desks in the far corner of the room with a few of my friends when I noticed a boy reading across the room. I only noticed because of what he was reading. What seventh grade boy reads Twilight in the middle of class for all to see? Eli was just like that.

He was just this awkward kid and had these fantastic blue eyes. Not that anyone bothered to notice. I didn't notice myself until I had known him for months.

Listening to myself say this, I wonder when it was that I started hating him. I know, I know, I don't hate him now but there was a time in between us meeting and starting to become friends and now. I guess I can say that there wasn't one particular moment, per say, but that it was Eli himself that made me hate him. That sounds horrible but it's kind of true.

 That sounds horrible but it's kind of true

"Hey."

"Oh. Hi."

"What's your name?"

"Elliot."

"Cool."

"..."

"I'm Julia. Julie for short."

"Great."

"Do you have a nickname?"

"Not really."

"Seriously? You haven't shortened Elliot to anything?"

"Nope."

"Well it should since there's wonderful options. How about Eli? Can I call you Eli?"

"I guess."

"Then I will."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"Am I bothering you or are you usually this quiet?"

"You're not bothering me."

"So you don't care that I basically just walked up to you, introduced myself, and shortened your name?"

"Not really."

"What if people call you that forever? Like everyone forgets your name is actually Elliot?"

"If people are that stupid I don't really care."

"All right then."

"All right."

"I'll be going then."

"Wonderful."

"I thought you said I wasn't bothering you?"

"You weren't."

"So what's with the sass?"

"You weren't bothering me. But as time went on, you started to."

"Well deal with it."

"Weren't you walking away?"

"Oh. Yeah, I was."

"Then this is the point where you would do that."

"Fine. I'm going then. Goodbye Eli, formerly known as Elliot."

"Goodbye crazy girl, formerly known as Julie."

"I will hurt you."

"I'm sure."