Eli: Feelings/Just the Highlights (92)

When Julie showed up at my dorm room door that night, I thought the universe was about to hit the fan. Things could have gone so badly and there was the possibility that I would never be able to look her in the eye again.

Have you ever seen the movie Friends with Kids? If you haven't, you should. Anyway these two friends decide to have a kid together (long story) and so they have to have sex if they want that to happen. Their night together starts out really awkwardly but when they start kissing it gets more normal and it just sort of happens.

That's what happened with Julie and I (but with protection, I was too young for a kid). It was awkward and then it sort of happened. It wasn't awkward at all, in the end. Who knew that such a weird situation could turn out so un-weird?

 Who knew that such a weird situation could turn out so un-weird?

 "Eli?"

"Yes?"

"Are you awake?"

"Yes. That's why I'm talking."

"Oh."

"Did you have something to tell me?"

"No. You can go back to sleep."

"Wait, let me adjust first. Lift up your head real quick. My arm is losing circulation."

"Better?"

"Much."

"Good. Now sleep."

"Yes ma'am."

"..."

"..."

"Eli?"

"You know, when someone tells you to go back to sleep that usually means that they'll leave you alone so you can actually sleep."

"Sorry. Nevermind."

"No, go on. What's on your mind?"

"What if this was a mistake?"

"Do you think it's a mistake?"

"No. I don't think it was."

"Then why are you asking?"

"Because I'm afraid that even though it doesn't seem like a mistake now, we'll regret it later."

"Jules, it's not going to help either of us for you to worry about regretting things you don't regret yet. You're supposed to have those 'will I regret this?' feelings before you do something, not after."

"I know but I'm still worried."

"It will all be okay. What's the worst that could happen?"

"Things could be weird between us."

"Gee, I have no clue how we would survive that."

"What's with the sarcasm?"

"Jules, we have times like that like every other year. We'll get through it."

"Okay..."

"Hey, try not to look like a worrywart. It makes you seem constipated."

"Gee thanks."

"Anytime, sweet pea. Now try to get some sleep. It's late."

"More like early."

"Oh shut up and go to sleep."

"I can't, you're hogging all the blankets."

"Am not."

"Are too."

"Are you always this grumpy after getting laid?"

"I wouldn't know."

"Well it seems like it. I feel bad for the next guy."

"Rude."

"Aw don't be that way. Here, I'll share the blankets. Happy?"

"Extremely."

"Hey I said I would share the blankets, not that you could steal my pillow!"

"Well since there is only one pillow and we are currently sharing a bed, you should call it 'our' pillow."

"You're annoying."

"It's part of my charm."

"Yeah right."

"Here, I can share. Don't be so grumpy."

"I'm not grumpy."

"Are you usually grumpy after getting laid?"

"Please just go back to sleep."

"Okay... You take the fun out of everything."

"That's not what you were saying earlier."

"Gross."

"I just realized that I will be able to make jokes like that for the rest of our friendship. That's awesome."

"..."

"Ow! Did you seriously knock me off the bed?"

"Maybe. Goodnight."

"Julie..."

"You were being mean to me."

"Okay, I'm sorry I was mean to you. Come on, it's cold down here."

"No."

"Julie..."

"I don't believe that you're really sorry."

"I am. Come on, sweet pea."

"Ask nicely."

"Please?"

"Ugh fine. But the pillow is mine."

"We'll see about that."