Eli: Homecoming/Just the Highlights (36)

I never really understood the idea of homecoming. Prom I get, all that high school experience crap, but I didn't get homecoming. Or winter formal. Or Sadie's, for that matter. Women have spent so much time trying to be independent, isn't giving them a dance where they're suddenly "allowed" to ask the guy setting them back a little? Like can't they ask a guy to another dance if they want? They don't have to sit around and wait for a loser guy to get the nerve to ask them.

Anyway, back to homecoming my sophomore year. I went with Kristy Rollins, something Julie still gives me crap for. I didn't go with Kristy because I wanted to go with her or even hook up with her (although I had gone and would continue to go to dances with girls for that very reason) but instead I went with her because everyone expected to since the rest of our group, except Julie, of course, was couples and Kristy and I were both the only single people. I know, great logic right?

Kristy was an all right date, a little too touchy and in my personal space but was willing to put up with me even though I was grumpy. And believe me, I was nowhere near a happy camper. I'd have completely understood if she had punched me in the face or stomped on my foot. Of course, maybe she didn't because someone did for her.

Sometime during the dance I ran into Julie, who had come with a bunch of girls. She looked pretty cute, all dressed up, but sort of odd, maybe it it was that she was wearing make up. Julie wasn't the type of girl to cover her face with that goop. Anyway, I was grumpy and a jerk and not as enlightened about how independent girls and women should be so I made some stupid comment about her not having a date and how she couldn't get one even if she tried. Julie then processed to give me a lecture about female independence (something my middle schooler pea brain obviously couldn't understand), stomped on my foot, and walked away so confidently that everyone cleared a path for her as I cursed the world for the searing pain in my foot.

I thoroughly deserved it but at the time it just pushed me off. That girl and heels is a deadly combination, especially when you throw me (specifically my feet) along with my big mouth into the mix. There was this time, at senior prom, where... Wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. Don't worry about that other story just yet. All in good time, I promise.

 All in good time, I promise

"Hey Eli. Having fun?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Who cares."

"I do."

"..."

"What's going on?"

"Why are you even asking?"

"Because I want to know."

"Why do you care? We're not friends. We're barely even acquaintances. Besides, I came with Kristy. I have a date."

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"It means you can't fill your boyfriend void with me."

"For your information, Elliot Jacob Masters, I don't need to fill any void with you. I think it's ridiculous that we're only fifteen and people expect me and every other girl to have a boyfriend or a date. What, because I can't be happy otherwise? If you really think you're just the means to an end, then you're right, we're not friends."

"Whatever."

"..."

"Ouch! What the hell, Jules?"

"Don't call me that! And serves you right."