Julie: Swept Away/Just the Highlights (206)

Eli had always been full of surprises but I had never expected him to say something like "I'm married and have a kid." When he said that I thought I was going to pass out. The last time I had seen him he had barely been able to do his own laundry, and now he was somebody's dad. I just couldn't believe it.

Seeing him again that morning and then in the courtyard had brought up all these repressed feelings I didn't even know I had. Every little crush I had had, every flirty conversation, every time where I thought "it's going to happen," and every time where I suddenly wanted to say something awkward like "I like your face" all came rushing back. It didn't matter that I had moved on, that I had dated Ryan, that I was dating and living with Casey, all that mattered to me in that moment was that he was there and I was there with him.

But after he told me about Nora and Ava, I was so embarrassed. I had been so swept away by the "romance" (how pathetic that sounds) of it all when he wasn't even available. And I wasn't available either! I wasn't even thinking. Actually, I was thinking but I was thinking the wrong thing. I was thinking about the history we had, not the reality we were actually facing. Old habits died hard, I guess.

In fact, I was so swept away that it didn't occur to me to tell him about Casey and how we were getting serious. If someone had asked me about Casey in that moment I might have actually said "Casey who?" I was a horrible person and I didn't deserve Casey. Yes, I eventually told him but there was no excusing how long it took me to tell him. Eli had been completely upfront about the changes in his life, and you could tell how happy he was to be the family man, but I had stayed quiet.

When he told me about Nora I could have said "that's wonderful! You know, I'm actually seeing someone right now and it might be going in that direction. You remember Casey, right? Well we ran into each other again and now we're living together." It would have been so easy and I didn't do anything. What the hell was wrong with me?

 What the hell was wrong with me?

"I can't believe you're a father."

"Believe me, I'm still getting used to it myself."

"Ava is an amazing name, though."

"Thank you. You know, her existence is all because of you."

"What do you mean?"

"When all that stuff happened with us, you said a lot of stuff about my character and who I was. I just tried to be the opposite of the person you thought I was."

"Wow, really? That's... wow."

"I know, it's kind of pathetic when I say it out loud."

"It's not pathetic at all."

"Hey, could I buy you a churro?"

"What?"

"They're selling churros over there, you want one?"

"Um, I guess..."

"Come on Jules, don't you remember? You always said a churro could fix anything and if anyone needs to be fixed it's us."

"That's very true. Get your money out Masters, it's churro time."

"Two churros please."

"..."

"Your churro, miss."

"Thank you, sir."

"Hey, so speaking of food..."

"Yeah?"

"You should come by the house tonight and have dinner with us."

"Like come all the way out to the suburbs and have dinner?"

"It's not that far. Besides, you can meet Nora and Ava."

"Isn't this a little last minute though? I don't want to impose or anything."

"You wouldn't be imposing. Why should you wait to come and meet them when we're both free tonight? Unless you aren't free, then it's all right. There'll be other nights."

"No, I don't have plans. I'd love to come to dinner."

"And you can bring your friend too, if you want."

"My friend?"

"The one you were shopping with."

"Abby? I think she already has plans with her boyfriend."

"That's cool."

"But I can bring Casey."

"Casey?"

"Yeah, my boyfriend."

"Casey as in Casey, Casey?"

"The one from high school, yes."

"No way."

"Uh huh."

"That's so awesome! Bring him, I can't wait to see him again. And to hear the whole story about how that all happened."

"That sounds great."

"I've got to head back to Harry and tell him what's going on, we were supposed to grab dinner, and I'll see you around eight okay?"

"Cool. And you're sure Nora will be okay with this?"

"I'm sure. If you don't believe me, put your number in and I'll call you if she says no."

"Fine."

"..."

"..."

"Okay, see you later."

"See you."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"Hey, Abby, you ready to go?"

"How can you act so casual! You just had the longest conversation with he-who-must-not-be-named ever! Tell me everything."