Eli: High Maintenance/Just the Highlights (56)

Contrary to the belief that a guy should just look for a girl who will look good in pictures and one that looks like she'll be fun, I believe that a guy should look for more things than that. For example, a guy should find a girl that is either good at organizing plans or is calm enough to let other people make the plans. And he should find one of those girls to go along with his personality. If he's a good planner, he should go with a more patient girl and vise versa. Another thing he should keep in mind is his ability to admit he's wrong and also correlate that with the girl's ability to be wrong.

I did not think about this when I asked Jaclyn. Although I did make sure to meet the popular criteria when I chose a date, I did not think of the other things. So prom ended up being a very hard experience for me as I don't do well with anxiety.So I got to wondering: what could I have done differently? That's when I came up with the above criteria. So I decided that next time I would make a better decision.

There was only one problem: who would I ask?

"I am going to kill Jaclyn."

"Trouble in paradise?"

"Shut up."

"Sorry. What's going on?"

"She's just so high maintenance, it's making me wish I didn't ask her."

"..."

"Don't look at me like that."

"Like what?"

"Like you are right now, all smug."

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"You sit on a throne of lies."

"Harsh, dude, harsh."

"I just don't know what to do."

"Eli, all girls act like this around prom. It's normal and when you guys get there, you'll be fine and you'll have fun."

"Easy for you to say."

"Whatever. Besides, it'd be like this no matter who you asked."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah. Besides, who would you ask other than Jaclyn do you think you'd have a good time with?"

"You."

"What?"

"Uh, I don't know. You just asked and you're the first name I thought of."

"Okay..."

"You're just a lot simpler than other girls. And we always have a good time together."

"Except when you're a complete asshole."

"Except when you're a pretentious bitch."

"Wow, you're too sweet."

"But see? We're able to tell each other when we're pissing each other off. So even if we're mad at each other, we can fix it so we have a good time."

"I guess..."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"But I'm sure you and Jaclyn will have a good time."

"Yeah. And I'm sure you and your date will have a good time."

"Mhmm."

"I guess I'll see you around then."

"I guess."

"..."

"..."