Julie: Planning/Just the Highlights (114)

I always thought I knew what I wanted to do. I would be a writer. But I didn't really ever think past college when I made my grand "plan." So when I was told that I had to have a plan, I panicked.

It seemed like everyone that was around me had a plan. Except for Eli, but he was the exception (an exception with confidence problems). Everyone else was interviewing for jobs and for graduate schools and I had nothing. I had no place to go once college ended and all I knew was that I was not going back home. I could not live in my hometown again and I could not live with my parents again.

So I went to my counselor (because that's what counselors are for, right?) and asked for advice. It might not help but it couldn't hurt.

"So what are your plans for after graduation?"

"Um... I'm still kind of deciding."

"You do know that you're more than halfway through your senior year, right? You should probably start looking for a job or start applying to graduate schools."

"Graduate school?"

"It's more common than you think. Creative writing MFA programs are great."

"Could you suggest some?"

"Well, I do believe that you're a very gifted writer. What about Iowa?"

"Iowa, like the state? The one in the middle of nowhere where it snows all the time and it sounds completely miserable?"

"The Iowa Writers' Workshop. It is in the state of Iowa, yes, but it's definitely not miserable."

"Okay, how do I apply?"