Eli: Marching Sixth Graders/Just the Highlights (44)

In January of our junior year, I was sent to the classroom of the swim coach/water polo coach/student government teacher/anything else that needed to be done guy. I had only met him a few times, usually because I would stop by to flirt with his swimmers, but could remember no reason why he would want to talk to me.

When I arrived, there was a group of similarly bewildered students that were waiting, for what I didn't know. We waited a few more minutes before the teacher began to speak to us.

We were there to be offered an opportunity, he said. An opportunity to be a cabin leader when the sixth grade of the neighboring elementary school went to Science Camp. We'd be in charge of ten to fifteen sixth graders and would be in charge of getting them where they needed to go.

I instantly said no. I hated kids and they hated me. I said Casey should go, he was easygoing enough, but I would only traumatize the poor kids.

Many of the other students felt similarly. At least most of the guys did. Almost all the girls, on the other hand, were very excited and were suddenly making plans to what activities they would do with their kids, which one of them would double up if they had to, and which guys had no choice in going.

Julie and one of her friends, I can't keep track of all of their names, were part of the small group of girls that were making their way towards the door in an attempt to escape. But then her coach called her name and reminded her that she had no choice in this, and that the head teacher organizing the trip had been her sixth grade teacher and saying no wasn't an option.

So Julie stayed in the room.

And for some reason, so did I.

I never actually agreed to be a cabin leader, I just didn't exactly say no. This was enough for all the girls, who I thinked just liked the idea of being in the middle of nowhere with me. Like I would go for them, they were evil people. I mean, so was I, but still.

A few weeks later, we found ourselves getting off a bus in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of needy sixth graders. Julie was sent with her friend, the one I didn't know the name of and I can't remember it now, to be the cabin leaders for a bunch of talkative girls while I was assigned a group of quiet, almost sullen, boys.

I'm sure Julie will fill you in on the horror she would face that week but I had a great time. As sullen as my group seemed, they were well behaved and hung on my every word. They even starting marching when I had them in a line going from place to place. Everyone assumed I was making them do that but really I didn't care if they marched or even walked in a perfect line. I just wanted to make it through the week.

But it was pretty cool.

"I'm dying."

"Did you sleep last night?"

"Yeah."

"Then you're not dying. I, however, did not sleep last night so I am the one that's dying."

"What, did you have a hot date?"

"Oh yeah, totally. I can't get a boyfriend when I'm actually in civilization but when I'm put into the middle of the woods without service with you people I suddenly find the love of my life."

"Sarcasm isn't becoming, sweet pea."

"Don't call me that. You're giving my cabin the wrong idea."

"Oh calm down. Besides, that naturalist is hot."

"He is but haven't you heard of this thing called jailbait?"

"Honey, you're not jailbait, believe me."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"Just go take a nap."