Eli: Loose/Just the Highlights (84)

When I got to college, I tried to mellow out a little bit. I really did. Julie calls this brief phase the "boy tries to make good" phase. It didn't last.

I blame baseball. I love baseball but I blame it. This is because I hung out with those baseball guys way too much and they had no reason to mellow out. So I did not mellow out, I actually got worse.

I didn't have anyone to keep me from getting too crazy. Well I did, but I didn't listen to her. Julie told me she was worried but I ignored her and kept partying.

I didn't become an alcoholic or a drug addict (only smoked pot once or twice, nothing more) or anything like that but my grades suffered and I was almost unable to finish the baseball season because my grades were so shitty. I was not popular in the pre-med program, believe me.

Finally I turned it all around but it took a while and took me forever to find a good group of friends. It all works out in the end, I guess.

 It all works out in the end, I guess

"Eli?"

"Yeah?"

"There you are, I've been looking for you everywhere."

"Well I've had a bunch of stuff to do today so I've been a bunch of different places."

"I can see that. How are you?"

"I'm good. You know, Jules, we both agreed that we'd give each other space so we could both have a fresh start and not relive high school everyday. This kind of violates that agreement."

"I know, I know, but I really needed to talk to you."

"Okay, shoot."

"I've heard some stuff about you and I'm worried."

"Like what."

"Like you're partying and your drinking and your sex-ing."

"My sex-ing?"

"Yes. I think you can do what you want but I don't want you to hurt yourself in the process."

"I'm fine, Julie."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I am."

"I'm just worried about you."

"No need to worry about me, sweet pea. I'm good."

"If you say so."