Julie: No Sex Ever/Just the Highlights (74)

Partway through our senior year, I started dating Mateo, one of my best friends. He was my first boyfriend and even though it was scary at first, it was really great. We started going out as a sort of fluke and somehow it lasted.

When I started dating Mateo, I was just so happy. It was so great, I had never had a boyfriend before and suddenly BAM, I had one and he was a friend, a great guy. It was better than I had imagined. The only thing I didn't like about Mateo, the only thing I had ever not liked, was how religious he was.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't the religion part. Just because I wasn't religious it didn't mean no one else could. Actually, I was a little jealous of their faith, I didn't understand it. The one thing that worried me a little was that there wouldn't be sex, like, ever. But I didn't think about it, we were only eighteen after all. It was a non-issue. I wasn't planning on having sex anytime soon, not right after we started dating.

Elliot, however, had a differing opinion.

"So you're dating that kid?"

"That kid? Yes, I am dating Mateo."

"That's fucking weird."

"Gee thanks. Try not to be too excited about this whole thing."

"Hey, you can date whoever you want. I just don't get why you would want to go out with someone so..."

"So what?"

"Religious."

"You say it like it's a bad thing. It's really not."

"But it's not you."

"Oh so just because he's religious and I'm not means that I can't date him? That's ridiculous."

"I just feel like you're going to end up disappointed."

"And I just feel like that you saying that could be sweet except for the fact that your logic makes absolutely no sense."

"Suit yourself."