Julie: First Day of School/Just the Highlights (130)

I had once been excited about the Iowa Writers' Workshop. That was before I started actually going to the Iowa Writers' Workshop. Even more so, it was before I had to start planning for my move to Iowa.

I had to find somewhere to live, figure out how to get cable and such, and I had to register for classes. I HAD NO CLUE WHAT TO DO. My mom helped but that also made me realize that I was going to spend the rest of my life calling my mom because I didn't know how to do anything. What was I going to do when I had kids? I would be calling my mom to help my kids. Where do moms learn this stuff?

Anyway, I had to face moving basically across the country to somewhere I had never been, with no one I know. Basically, it was sort of the beginning of my Act 2. Who cares if it started with terror? I do, I care.

 Who cares if it started with terror? I do, I care

Dear Eli,

I am terrified right now. Today I moved into my new apartment (it's okay, I'm hoping it will look better after I unpack all of my books and basically burrow myself into it) and started my first day of classes (more like seminars) at Iowa Writers' Workshop. And now I'm hiding in my bedroom, wondering if there's a way I can drop out after one day.

How are you? I hope Columbia is going well. But then again, I kind of hope that Columbia isn't going well, because I need someone to relate to how I'm feeling. So I'll feel miserable for forever, but if you could just feel miserable for like a day or two I would really appreciate it. Okay? Do this for me, your oldest friend.

Please try to be miserable,

Julie

P.S. Okay I know that I may not be your oldest friend, but I am 99% sure that I am your closest friend that you've known for a long time or your oldest friend that you're the closest to. All right?