Eli: Ava/Just the Highlights (176)

Eight months into her pregnancy, Nora went into labor. I was at work and she had taken a sick day to go shopping with a friend to get the nursery ready and her water broke in the middle of some baby story. Luckily it was a baby store so it wasn't the first time that had happened, which is kind of gross to think about but it was very helpful. I of course was working at a different hospital than the one they were taking her to and didn't get there until she was already all checked in and in her hospital gown.

But babies come at their own speed and our little Ava apparently had a very slow speed. Nora's water broke on Tuesday morning and it wasn't until Wednesday afternoon that she was born. And that was only because her heart rate dropped and they had to do a C-Section. I know Nora was having a hard time giving birth to her at all but I envied her ignorance of what I had to deal with (wow that sounds so horrible). The doctors kept asking me questions about what course of action I wanted to take (since Ava was premature but not so premature that they would need emergency surgery just yet) and I had to give them the all clear when her heart rate dropped.

In the end, like with every baby (at least I hope so), it was worth it. Other than that scare she gave us, Ava was perfectly healthy and Nora got an extra day in the hospital to rest up. They were both so beautiful and I felt so lucky to be able to call them mine. We were a little family and I had to appreciate that for as long as I could.

 We were a little family and I had to appreciate that for as long as I could

 "She's beautiful."

"She really is."

"Nice job."

"Thank you."

"Was she worth the hours of labor?"

"At the time, no. But now she is."

"Our little Ava."

"Oh, she's waking up. And she's yawning."

"I can't wait to take her home."

"Is the room all set up?"

"I think so. My mom was a big help. And my dad didn't hold us back too much."

"That's always a good thing."

"Did... your parents call?"

"No."

"Okay."

"They'll call eventually I think. Once they find out about Ava."

"I'm sure they will. And even if they don't-"

"Can we please not talk about this right now? This is supposed to be a happy day and I would like to stop talking about the one thing that's keeping me from being completely happy."

"Of course, I don't want to upset you."

"I know."

"I was just going to say that if they didn't then they were just going to miss out on meeting Ava. And that's a hell of a loss."

"Yep."

"Shh... It's okay. It will all be okay."

"I know, it's just-"

"I know."

"Aren't I supposed to be done with the mood swings now?"

"Who knows I know nothing about women's bodies."

"You know nothing about women."

"That too."

"But you're right, it's their loss."

"Exactly."

"She's just so cute!"

"So we're back to happy? Oh those beautiful mood swings."

"Shut up."

"She is super cute. Our little Ava."

"Little Ava Masters. Such a sweet little thing."

"Let's hope she's just as sweet when she's a teenager."

"My little sweet pea..."

"..."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Do you want me to call her something else?"

"No, it's fine. It just reminds me of someone I used to know."

"Anyone important?"

"Yeah. You remember Julie, right? The one from the party..."

"Where you were an asshole and hooked up with that crazy girl? Yes, I think I remember her. Did you ever talk to her after that? I never thought it was my place to ask."

"No."

"Oh, Eli..."

"She wanted her space! I didn't know when to reach out again."

"You're an idiot."

"I know."

"So am I allowed to call Ava sweet pea or is it a touchy subject?"

"No, it's perfectly fine. It just took me back a little bit. But I'm over it, it's not like it's a bad comparison."

"Good."

"She's our little sweet pea."

"Our little accident."

"Our perfect little accident."