Julie: The End of an Experience/Just the Highlights (138)

After two years of writing assignments and desks arranged in circles and long discussions with professors, my program had ended. I was sad to be done with my schooling and was scared to enter the "real world," but I was excited too. I could finally get a job and begin my life like I had always imagined it. I had no doubts in my mind that I would be able to. The only question was where I was going to do it.

My parents wanted me to come home for a while and figure out my options. Make sure that wherever I moved I had a job and a place to live. But I had decided to live my life with no regrets. Besides, if I was comfortable, what was the point? You're not supposed to be comfortable when you're in your 20's. You suffer through your discomfort until you get where you want to go. What was the worst that could happen?

So I decided to go somewhere where I would have no job lined up and no place to live other than sleeping on a friend's couch. I knew that even if I had to become a waitress and could only afford a shoe box apartment, I would make it through. Eventually, everything would work out. And if for some reason it didn't, I would just go somewhere else. Moving somewhere didn't mean I had to stay there forever.

And that's how I ended up moving to New York City.

    "Hello?"

    "Eli? It's Jules."

    "I know, I have this cool thing called caller ID."

    "Oh, yeah. Sorry. Just ignore that little thing there."

    "All right. What's up? How's Iowa?"

    "Iowa is good, graduation is almost here."

    "Oh yeah! Are you excited?"

    "Excited... and terrified."

    "That's too be expected. I'm just glad I have another year before I have to deal with all that."

    "You're a lucky one. But I actually did call you for a reason."

    "And that reason is?"

    "I'm coming to New York."

    "You are? That's great! I haven't seen you in forever, I'd love to have you come visit."

    "Actually, I'm not coming to visit. I'm moving to New York, to find a job."

    "Wow."

    "Are you okay?"

    "Yes! That's even better!"

    "I'm glad you think so. I need to ask you a few favors."

    "Anything."

    "One, I need someone to pick me up from the airport."

    "What about your parents? Don't they want to take you?"

    "They're coming to my graduation, but then I'm flying to New York on my own. It's easier and cheaper."

    "That makes sense. What else?"

    "Two, my stuff is being shipped to your apartment so I need you to store it for me until I move into my own apartment. It's not much."

    "Done."

    "Three, I need to stay with you a few days until I can move into my apartment. And I need you to help me move."

    "Of course. I'll lift all the heavy boxes you need."

    "Perfect. One more favor."

    "Is this going to be a hard one? Because the rest are seriously easy."

    "Sort of. My final request is that you help show me around the city. Because I'm going to be super lost."

    "It will be my pleasure, sweet pea."