Julie: Ice Cream and Moving On/Just the Highlights (98)

In some show or another a girl told her friend that the best way to get over someone is to get under someone else. But I did that after Mateo and I broke up and even though it turned out pretty well, all things considered, it didn't really get me over him like you might think. I wasn't necessarily sad but I felt sort of lonely and undesired. It wasn't that I had lost him, it was that I had lost someone that had liked me and dated me. I had lost my mojo.

So, like every rational girl, I went to the supermarket in search of some Ben and Jerry's to consume while I watched The Notebook and listened to the rest of my dorm get ready to go out that night. Saturday night plans had never been my thing and my aversion had gotten even worse so I didn't even try. Usually I just went to the store in sweats and my hair up in a bun but luckily for me, I had gone straight from class so my clothes were actually normal and my hair was clean and my breath was minty fresh.

I was in the middle of deciding between Half Baked and Phish Food when someone said "Oh the classic Ben and Jerry's flavor war. That's basically the hardest decision I have to make all day" and I turned around to see a shockingly good looking guy smiling at me. He looked yummier than the ice cream. I could barely smile back.

Luckily I was able to act like not a total spaz and carry a conversation with the lovely fellow. He seemed sweet and funny and I knew that he was gorgeous but he didn't seem to, which was a huge plus. But when he asked for my number I froze and felt sick. Had I just flirted with a guy when I had a boyfriend? That's when I realized that I in fact didn't have a boyfriend. Actually, the reason I was in the supermarket was because I didn't have a boyfriend! So I said yes and he was probably one of the best first dates I ever had. We went out for ice cream.

	"As lovely as this conversation has been, these freezers are making me a little cold

"As lovely as this conversation has been, these freezers are making me a little cold. Could I get your number and we can continue this conversation over dinner?"

"I'm sorry, I have a boyfriend."

"Oh, okay. Sorry for bothering you."

"Wait, I don't have a boyfriend..."

"You don't."

"No, it's just a force of habit to say that. Hence the ice cream."

"I see. So can I have your number?"

"Sure."