Julie: A Chance Meeting/Just the Highlights (182)

After Ryan, I was in a slump for a while. I really wasn't in the mood for dealing with blind dates again and it was bad enough seeing Abby happy with her Mateo (as opposed to my former Mateo, who was in fact still living in California). I was happy for her, of course, but they were sort of sickening. There was only so much I could take.

Not that I would ever tell her that, she would be mortified and never bring him around again. And I didn't want her to do that, I liked Mateo and I was okay with them being a couple. So I said nothing and conveniently avoided her as much as I could when they were together. Hey, I know it wasn't the best solution in the world (probably one of the worst) but it was the one I came up with. I was never known for being a genius.

But one day, my slump ended (wow that sounds pathetic, let me say now that I wasn't walking around all sad that I didn't have a boyfriend, I just wanted one when I was around my friends in relationships, I can be on my own). I was walking down the street on my way back to work after meeting Abby for lunch (sans Mateo, luckily) when I saw a familiar face in the crowd. Someone all of you would remember, actually.

His name is Casey.

As soon as I saw him I called him over, acting like a complete idiot in the process. But I did get his attention and we did that whole "it's been so long!" thing. Casey had gone to school in Florida (who knows why, then again I went to Iowa) and I hadn't seen him in forever. He suggested we go to lunch and even though I had just gone to lunch I was so, in a word, starstruck that I said yes.

Luckily, in the end we didn't do a lot of eating. No, not in that way you perverts. We just talked a lot and caught up with each other's lives. Surprisingly, we connected in a way neither of us could ever have predicted, even though we had never been like that before. But even though it was surprising, it was nice. For such a long time, Eli had been the only one I had been close to from my high school days. But now I had one more person.

 But now I had one more person

 "Casey?"

"..."

"Casey!"

"..."

"CASEY!"

"What the-"

"Have you always been this deaf?"

"Julie? Julia Nichols?"

"The one and only."

"Hey!"

"Hey yourself! What brings you to the city?"

"Um, I live here?"

"You do? Since when?"

"A few weeks. I got a job at The Wall Street Journal."

"No way."

"Yep."

"I'm at The New Yorker! Why didn't you call?"

"Well I didn't want to put you on the spot."

"You didn't want to put me on the spot?"

"Yeah. If you heard I was in town you would want to go get lunch or something and I didn't want you to say that if you didn't want to."

"Wow, were you always an idiot?"

"Excuse me?"

"I always remembered you as a smart guy but here you are acting like an idiot. Of course I would want to take you to lunch! And I would mean it."

"All righty then, crazy lady. Would you like to go to lunch now?"

"Of course."

"Don't you have to go back to work?"

"Probably but they'll survive without me."

"You just don't want to prove my point."

"Pretty much. Now let's get moving."

"Were you always this stubborn?"

"It's better than being an idiot."

~~~

See? I told you guys that Casey would show up again! I hope you like this little development, this storyline is one of my favorites :) Actually, this whole section is one of my favorites of the whole story (even the Nora part lol). So I'm going to try to keep this brief but I have a few announcements for you guys:

Also, there are a lot of stories on Wattpad and I know it's sometimes hard to find stories you like. To help with that, I have a few recommendations for you all. The first is Trial & Error by snoozes. It's a ChickLit story that may seem run of the mill at first but Melina's wit and amazing writing style turns it into so much more. And the second is Something Sweet by bamboozling. It's the newest story from this account and it's already amazing! Try out both of these stories, I know you won't forget it.