Eli: Bad Driver/Just the Highlights (48)

I am not a good driver. Or, I wasn't a good driver. I have no idea what kind of driver I am now since I haven't actually had to drive anywhere in a long time since New York doesn't require people to drive everywhere. But in high school, I was the worst driver you could ever imagine.

Case in point, I failed my drivers test three times. The first time was just me being lazy and not practicing enough, the second was because I still couldn't parallel park, and the third was because of the person administering the test. Seriously. That chick had it out for me, I know it.

Anyway, by the time I did get my license, I was eighteen. There was no point in going through the whole process because my permit had expired and I was already seventeen and a half so who was I kidding? Even when I did get my license, my parents wouldn't trust me with their amazingly nice cars, no matter how much I begged. I understood that my dad's Mustang was vintage and worth more than my life but couldn't I drive it to prom?

 I understood that my dad's Mustang was vintage and worth more than my life but couldn't I drive it to prom?

"Hey."

"Hey. Fancy seeing you here."

"Waiting for your test?"

"I just finished. You?"

"Same. Is that bench comfortable?"

"Not in the least."

"Perfect. As a failure I shouldn't be comfortable."

"Well it's the DMV. There's plenty of places to be uncomfortable."

"Indeed. You a failure too?"

"Of the highest order."

"So it's official, we're two sixteen year olds without their licenses."

"Well isn't that just fantastic."

"Our lives are amazing."

"It'll make a great movie someday."

~~~

Okay so there's a little insight into the story and Ava's existence (along with Nora's, see how I didn't mention her or Julie? I'm so sneaky). So Ava's nine when Eli "writes" this part. He's thirty six at this point, since the story ends when he's thirty five and the epilogue is about a year later. Do the math and you know not only when Ava was/will be born, but also when Eli and Nora were married.