Julie: An Enigma/Just the Highlights (62)

An enigma is a person or thing that is mysterious, puzzling, or difficult to understand and that basically describes Eli. It was like instead of a person, he was someone you knew about. Like anything he did was common knowledge to anyone who knew him. It wasn't gossiping. It was just Eli.

He was a player but he'd been single for a year. He was an asshole but he defended me. He was awkward but he was overconfident. He was a stupid jock but he was one of the smartest in our class. We hated each other but we were friends. We were friends but we never spoke and didn't mind.

He was so many contradictions that I could never quite nail him down and say "here, this is who he is." Even after all these years, I still can't. I've prided myself on being able to figure people out, to be able to know who they are and how they work, but I can't do that with him.

I try to talk to him like I talk to my other guy friends, to other people I'm attracted to, to people I don't like, and he calls me out. He has his own set of rules. I wish I could say if these rules are ones he has for me or just people in general but I really have no way of knowing. I don't think I'll ever know. I think I'll spend my whole life trying to figure him out and he'll spend his whole life trying to figure me out, if he's even trying to. Why doesn't that bother me more?

 Why doesn't that bother me more?

11:01PM: Hey Nichols

6:15AM: Sup Masters

6:17AM: Did u do the history hw?

6:21AM: Yep. Took a while

6:25AM: Could I borrow it?

6:27AM: Sorry dude, took 2 much work 2 share. Maybe check w/ C?

6:31AM: *sighs* I will. Thanks anyway

6:32AM: No prob.