Julie: A Long Ride Home/Just the Highlights (50)

Even though we did our best to dissuade them, kids at school still sometimes assumed that Eli and I were a couple. I think this mostly came from boredom, maybe there was nothing good on TV. But either way it happened.

Which meant that if anyone was ever interested in one of us (mostly girls drooling over Eli), they would go to the other person and ask if it was okay, which it was. We learned to just let them get it out and just say yes.

One case of this happened one day when an acquaintance of mine gave me a ride home. We had a class together and were technically "friends" but I never would have asked her for a ride unless it was absolutely necessary.

Suddenly, she asked me about Eli and our relationship. I told her the truth, that there was nothing there. She didn't fully believe me but resolved herself to ask him out anyway. No matter how weird the situation was, I was proud of her for asking him out. Who says a girl has to wait for a guy to ask her out? Besides, with how many girls that were after Eli, it was ask or never be asked.

Awkwardness could have easily run rampant if they had started dating, but luckily for everyone, they only went on one date. The universe was safe for a little while.

But not for long.

"What's going on between you and Eli Masters?"

"What's going on?"

"Yeah, between you and Eli."

"Nothing."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah I'm sure. I think I'd know if there was."

"Oh."

"Why do you ask?"

"I just heard that you guys were a thing."

"Who told you that we were?"

"A couple people, I can't remember who."

"Of course you can't. Well, we're not."

"Okay, that's good."

"..."

"Can I ask one more thing?"

"Sure..."

"Do you ever see something happening between you two?"

"I think the chances of Eli and I getting together are basically zero. And I only say basically zero because the second I say that the universe will try to make me wrong."

"Okay, cool. Thanks."

"..."

"I was wondering because... Oh never mind."

"No, go ahead. What is it?"

"I was just thinking about asking him out."

"Oh. Oh... That makes sense."

"So do you mind?"

"Mind what?"

"If I ask Eli out."

"Of course not. Go ahead if that's what you want to do."

"Okay! Thank you so much Julie! I'll call him as soon as I get home!"

"Okay... See you."

"Bye!"

"What the hell just happened?"