Julie: Heading Home/Just the Highlights (122)

Once everyone knew what they were doing after graduation, time seemed to speed up. We were all just going through the motions and we were all just trying to not screw everything up before we were handed our diploma (or, in some cases, before we were handed the holder for our diploma with a note that we owed the school money for something).

I didn't really care about the actual graduation ceremony. My parents were flying up, but I was mostly looking forward to when I got back. I had tried to keep Iowa under wraps (from everyone that didn't especially need to know), but when I was offered the opportunity to start my program early, word got out around my hometown. So my friends were using some trust fund baby's lake house/cabin thing to throw me a goodbye party.

At first I'd been embarrassed, but by now I had embraced it and was even excited for it. Who knew, maybe it would be fun? I'm just relieved that we didn't turn into a horror movie, a bunch of young people partying at a lake house at night and all.

There was one interesting event that happened during that time, though. Jeremy and I broke up. I know, shocker right. Looking back on it, I can see how obvious it was that it wouldn't last. We were both heading in our own directions after we graduated and agreed that it was too soon (and we were too young) to factor another person into our life decisions.

Also, thinking about all these life changing choices made us realize that we were quite all right with being apart and having separate lives. So that was that.

We ended it a week before graduation, hugged and said our proper goodbyes at the ceremony (I've learned that it's easy to be civil when you know you weren't super invested in the first place), and then I left with Eli and our respective families to go catch our flight. I haven't seen Jeremy since.

He's vocal enough on our alumni page but I haven't ever looked into what he's up to. I just like knowing that if something big does happen to him, I'll know. I wish him the best.

 I wish him the best

"It's really over."

"I know."

"Do you think you'll miss it?"

"Some."

"Any girls that you'll keep in touch with?"

"Nope. No girlfriends."

"That's good. Fresh starts are good."

"Have you talked to him?"

"Jeremy? Yeah, a little. I saw him at the ceremony today."

"How'd that go?"

"Pretty well. We hugged, kissed each other on the cheek, wished each other well. It was civil. Nice, even."

"Wow. The sex must have been terrible."

"What?"

"The sex must have been terrible. You would have been more upset if the sex had been more satisfying."

"The sex was fine, thank you."

"Fine?"

"It was good!"

"When it comes to sex, good is never good."

"Thank you for that little tidbit of information."

"You're welcome. Admit it, you're going to miss me when I'm in New York."

"You know, I just might."

"I might miss you too. If I think about it."

"How sweet."