Julie: Bad Dates/Just the Highlights (162)

There are no words that can describe how amazing my new job was. I was helping oversee the entire fiction department, which wasn't very big (which explains why they hired me, who had no experience), and got to help choose which pieces made it into the print. The fiction section had always been one of my favorites and now I was helping design it! I was still in shock even a few months after I started the job.

Under normal circumstances the transition into this job would have been difficult but under normal circumstances I wouldn't have met Abby. She and her other friends, they were all scattered in different departments, took it upon themselves to make sure that I had something to do every weekend and someone to each lunch with everyday. I had been terrified that I would be the girl that was sitting alone in the breakroom or her office during lunch but instead I sat with Abby and a few others in her tiny cubicle and told hilarious stories about first kisses and our first days in the city.

The only thing that kept my life from being completely perfect was the fact that Abby had taken it upon herself to set me up with every single guy she knew. And even though Abby was a great friend, she had a horrible taste in men. I was in no danger of meeting anyone I might actually want to date.

 I was in no danger of meeting anyone I might actually want to date

    "I just don't get why you didn't like him."

    "He was a jerk, what else is there to it?"

    "You're just too picky. Can't you give the guy a chance?"

    "I can if he's not an asshole."

    "He wasn't an asshole."

    "He totally was."

    "What, you can't deal with a guy who's kind of a jerk? You're twenty six, you should know how to deal with that."

    "I do know how to deal with guys like that. But I'm too good at it, that's the problem."

    "That makes no sense."

    "I spent a lot of my life dealing with an asshole guy. He was one of my best friends but when you're friends with that kind of person, even if you put them in their place as much as you can, you always end up missing out."

    "A friend, huh?"

    "Yeah..."

    "What happened? With your 'friend.'"

    "He screwed up and I couldn't forgive him anymore."

    "Huh."

    "What?"

    "Maybe that's your problem."

    "What is?"

    "That guy. It's like you're constantly assuming that all these guys are going to be exactly like that one."

    "You're ridiculous."

    "That doesn't mean I'm right."

    "God you sound just like him. Too cocky for your own good."

    "Maybe I sound like him because you become friends with the same types of people."

    "..."

    "Right?"

    "I hate you."

    "Yeah right. But, hey, I can promise I won't hook up with anyone I shouldn't and mess stuff up like he did."

    "How did you know that's what happened?"

    "Isn't it that always what happens with asshole guys?"