Eli: The Goodbye Party/Just the Highlights (124)

The goodbye party was no better than any goodbye party you could imagine. The cabin itself was huge (probably a gift from someone's guilty parents for neglecting them) and pretty fantastic. Not only was it awesome because of all those things, it was also awesome because it had all my friends in it. It was also even more awesome because it gave me a bunch of room to hide from all my friends.

Throughout the night, everyone caught up and compared their overall experiences during the past four years (most of us went to school but some of the trust fund kids partied and traveled the whole time, those lucky bastards).

But even though I love my friends, seeing them reminded me why I was glad I had only seen them briefly during the past couple of years. The thing about college is that you meet your people. The people you're supposed to find and hang out with. The people you know in high school are not those people.

The one thing I can say is this: I am so glad that I went to the same college as Julie instead of those other people. I would have gone completely insane if it had been someone else. Julie was, and sort of still is, my best friend. She's the kind of person that if I didn't know her before college, I would have met her then. I had no clue what I was going to do when we went our separate ways.

That's probably why things happened that night the way they did.

"Enjoying the party?"

"Yeah, sorta. I forgot how crazy everyone was."

"I know right."

"This deck is nice though."

"Perfect for hiding out."

"Pretty much."

"..."

"..."

"Julie?"

"Yes?"

"Are you scared?"

"Of what?"

"The future."

"Totally."

"Cool. So am I."

"I think everyone is."

"You do?"

"Uh huh."

"Jules?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm really glad you're the one who went to the same school as me."

"I am too."

"We had some tough times, but I think it was for the best."

"I think so too."

"Hey."

"Hmm?"

"Do you ever regret it?"

"Regret what?"

"That night. When we, uh..."

"Had sex?"

"Yeah. Do you?"

"Regret it? No."

"Really?"

"Really."

"So you think it was a good thing?"

"I suppose. It was a good night."

"And you, um, enjoyed yourself?"

"Yes..."

"Cool."

"Is there a reason you're bringing this up?"

"I'm just thinking about it."

"All righty then. I think I'm going to go inside now so..."

"Wait. I'm sorry. I made you uncomfortable."

"It's fine. It's just weird that you're bringing this up now."

"I care about you Jules. And I realized I never made sure that you were okay."

"I'm okay, all right? Calm yourself. I'm not some kind of fragile thing that needs to be protected. I was completely willing to do what we did."

"I guess."

"God, Eli, why are you so dense? I was attracted to you, you were attracted to me, and we did it. Get over it."

"So you were attracted to me."

"Yes! Why must you be so annoying? Do you think that I could go all this time without being attracted to you? You're not irresistable but you're a good looking guy. Naturally I would be attracted to you."

"Are you still attracted to me?"

"What?"

"Are you still attracted to me?"

"No."

"It sounded like you were speaking in the present tense."

"Well I wasn't. So no."

"Don't lie to me."

"I'm not lying."

"Oh so you don't care if I move a little closer?"

"Are you on crack?"

"Maybe."

"Thought so."

"What if I put my arm around you."

"Fuck off, Masters."

"Don't be like that."

"Do you seriously think that you can act like this and I'll want to sleep with you? You're insane."

"I think you want to sleep with me anyway."

"I can't believe I thought we were even friends. Jeremy and I only broke up a few weeks ago and now you're hitting on me? What the hell is wrong with-"

"..."

"..."

"You were saying."

"Shut up."

"..."

"..."

"So... Want to come upstairs?"

"I think I'll pass."

"I'd be hurt if I thought you meant it."

"Just come on already."