Julie: Eli's Family/Just the Highlights (210)

It's safe to say that explaining the day's evens to Casey was a little complicated. I hadn't ever given him all the details about what had happened (he had gotten about as many details as Abby) so he was just sort of confused. He had thought that Eli and I had just lost touch so didn't get why I thought seeing him was a life changing experience. A pleasant surprise, yes, but not life changing by long shot. But eventually I got him to understand and agree to come to Eli and Nora's house with me.

Dinner itself was nice, Nora was a wonderful cook (and my dessert wasn't too bad either). I liked Nora as well as Eli said I would, she was amazing. I met little Ava too, but just for a minute since she was going to bed. She was a sweet little thing and Nora aptly called her "sweet pea." If I'm being completely honest, Ava fit that name much more than I ever did. When Eli called me that it was an inside joke, used to just piss me off, but with Ava and Nora, it was a sign of true love. Nothing could compete with that.

After dinner, Nora and I sent the guys to clean up dinner and the two of us made our way to the back porch. Nora grabbed some beers for us and we just sat out there, talking. We had a lot to talk about.

"So you seem like a great person

"So you seem like a great person. Why in the world would you decide to marry Eli?" '

"And you seem like a great person too. Why in the world would you be friends with him for so long?"

"Well there's a reason we didn't talk for so long."

"I know."

"You do?"

"He's my husband, you think he wouldn't tell me eventually?"

"That's true."

"I don't know the gritty details, he doesn't like talking about it and it's not exactly fun to hear about when your husband was in love with someone else, no matter how long ago it was. But I do know what happened. I was there, actually."

"What!"

"Hey, chill. I wasn't that girl. But I was at that party and I came in the same group as her. She was my loser friend's friend."

"Oh. Wow."

"Yep."

"And you knew this when you met him?"

"Eli? Of course. The girl wouldn't shut up about this guy she hooked up with, who knew why she was proud. He didn't know her and they hooked up in a coat closet, it was obvious she was more invested than him. The only reason I even remembered who he was because I saw you guys together."

"Oh."

"I was just so surprised that it was him that was that guy. You guys seemed like you were together. Like together together."

"Join the club."

"Anyway, when I saw him in the supermarket the next week I didn't know if I should punch him or ignore him. I didn't even know you but I figured us girls had to stick together."

"I appreciate that. What did you end up doing?"

"Well I figured I shouldn't punch the guy if you had already torn him apart. So I decided to just make conversation and feel him out."

"And you ended up going out with him?"

"That wasn't really part of the plan. I just figured I'd talk to him for a minute and go on my way. But when I mentioned how I knew him, he got this look on his face. Like his heart had been ripped out or something."

"I think I know what you look you mean."

"I'm sure you do."

"What did you do next?"

"Let me just say, I was intrigued. That's the main reason I went out with him at all. I wanted to figure out how this guy could be so obviously in love with someone but mess it up so horribly."

"Answer: he's stupid."

"He's really stupid. Anyway, I went out with him and somewhere along the way he convinced me to fall in love with him."

"He's good at that."

"He really is."

"..."

"He's changed, you know."

"People don't change."

"Then why'd you talk to him when you saw him? Why'd you say yes to coming over here for dinner?"

"I was like you, I was intrigued."

"You were wondering if he'd changed. I agree, people don't usually change. But sometimes, under the right circumstances, they can change just enough. And you leaving him flat was the right circumstances for him."

"..."

"Hey, there's no reason to get upset. He's okay, it's all okay. You did what you had to do."

"I just... did I do the right thing?"

"I wasn't there and I'm not you so I'm not necessarily the best person to ask. But I do know that you guys are here now so in my eyes it was a pretty good choice."

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't."

"And sometimes I wish I hadn't done a lot of things. Regrets happen, don't dwell on the things that worked out anyway."

"I just can't believe he got married. And he's a father! Nothing against you or Ava, but I never thought that would have been possible for him. He was too-"

"Eli-centric?"

"Exactly."

"I can see that. But he has changed."

"For your sake, I hope he has."

"For your sake too."

"I'm less important. I'm old news in his world."

"Not even. He's missed you."

"I doubt that, I treated him horribly."

"And that wasn't without reason. You should have seen his face when he got home today. You were his best friend and he found you again."

"I missed him too."

"I can tell."

"You're pretty cool, I'm glad he found you."

"You're pretty cool too. I'm glad you made it possible for him to find me."

"He's a piece of work."

"Definitely. I don't know how you put up with him for so long."

"And you get to put up with him for even longer. Good luck, you're gonna need it."

"Don't I know it."

~~~

Sup dudes! Yet again, I have a few announcements for you guys:

1. Check out TheBanditry, you won't regret it

2. Go read "The Stage Manager"! The first chapters were posted on Tuesday and the next update will be on Saturday. And I promise there will be lots of Bea/Noah sass and more background on who exactly Noah Ramirez is. So to everyone who hasn't read the chapters yet, go read them! You don't want to miss out.