Eli: Just F------ Do It/Just the Highlights (244)

Once everything had returned to (almost) normal, Julie's 35th birthday rolled around. She wanted to just let it pass by, maybe have a nice dinner with a few friends, but Abby and I refused to let her. She didn't have to do anything too crazy, no clubs or anything, but she had to have some sort of party. In the end we compromised with a nice lunch party in my backyard with some of our friends and all the family that could make it. Julie would be nice to everyone and dress up and Abby and I would make sure there was plenty of food she liked.

And the party was very nice. Abby was one of those party masters and all I really had to do was make sure Julie showed up and that Ava and I got her a gift. It was nice but also a little bit of a problem since one, I was horrible at getting gifts and two, I had way too much time to dwell over Julie rejecting me. I know she didn't mean it as a rejection but it was definitely a rejection. No matter how much I understood her motives, I still didn't enjoy being rejected. No one likes being rejected.

I mean, what did she expect me to do? Just forget about my feelings? I had just realized that I had them, I couldn't just shove them in a drawer right away. But no, there I was, trying to act like everything was okay. Things weren't not okay, they were fine, but it wasn't exactly fun for me. Everything to do with feelings wasn't fun for me. Feelings sucked. Feelings could go fuck itself. I didn't say anything about this to anyone, there was no way I could tell anyone without causing a whole thing, so I just walked around and tried to act like I wasn't feeling like a complete and utter idiot.

Casey, of course, saw through all of my shit. He and Grace, who was now his fiancée, came early to help set up and since Abby refused to give them a job, they had plenty of time to watch me sulk around the house. It was only a matter of time before they pulled me aside and asked me what was going on. I told them everything that had happened between Julie and I (they weren't shocked at all, it was bizarre) and how gross I felt. When I had finished, Casey told me that I should just suck it up and do it.

To quote him directly, because I can't do it justice on my own. He said (in such an eloquent way) "It's the girl's birthday, Eli, and it's obvious that she's as in love with you as you are with her. It's inevitable that you two get together. Just go fucking do it."

 "I need to talk to you

 "I need to talk to you."

"I'm eating my cake."

"Eat your cake later."

"But I just got it."

"It will be here later."

"Eli, I literally just blew out the candles and now I want to eat my cake."

"Bring the cake with you!"

"Why can't I just eat it here?"

"Because I have to talk to you!"

"Fine, there's no need to be so grumpy."

"Just come on."

"What's this about anyway?"

"I just have to talk to you about something important."

"What could be so important that you take me away from the party you helped plan?"

"You'll see."

~~~

I'M SO SORRY THIS UPDATE WAS LATE. I graduated Friday and have been busy all weekend because of stuff related to it. I meant to write the update before hand but you know how I am. Also, I thought this update was more of a filler and then the next update was more like plot-driven but this one was so important. Yay for important updates! 

The story ends (not including the 4-part epilogue (since Eli and Julie each get to end the story in their own way), which is after) at Julie's 35th birthday party so this is the last stretch. Remember, this story goes until "Just the Highlights (250)"! I think knowing that this is last bit is making the fact that this story is ending all the more real. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WHEN IT'S OVER?! You guys better stick around for other stories I write because I don't want to miss your hilarious comments (and if you have any questions about certain plot points make sure to ask them, I might do a Q and A for this story).

Anyway, I hoped you all enjoyed this update! I promise Thursday's will be on time. You can always go over and read TSM's newest update in the meantime. See you all then!

P.S. If you're looking for a new story not by me, go read EmSlough's "Heartbreaker." She based it off the cliche "older brother's best friend" trope and it's amazing! The MMC is swoon-worthy all around and Grant Gustin is cast as him so he's all the more dreamy. Check it out! I hope to see you in the comments section.